Can we start an Egg Repair, or WAX'd egg thread?

WilloughbyStead

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2016
USA-FL
Just curious, as I've done repairs myself with 50/50 success. Now I again currently have 2 eggs at the same time that were trampled by my roo (who thought he belonged in the nest box) shortly after being laid. No seepage, I wouldn't save seeping eggs. They're all waxed and in the bator. Just wondering, what stories and pics y'all have. While I wait out the suspense. Unfortunately my eggs are super dark olive eggs. He spared the blue ones. Darn roo :/

Anyway I thought it could be fun to rehatch the days of repairs and success or not.. Share what works and what we've learned. Pics and such?

Just curious, as I've done repairs myself with 50/50 success. Now I again currently have 2 eggs at the same time that were trampled by my roo (who thought he belonged in the nest box) shortly after being laid. No seepage, I wouldn't save seeping eggs. They're all waxed and in the bator. Just wondering, what stories and pics y'all have. While I wait out the suspense. Unfortunately my eggs are super dark olive eggs. He spared the blue ones. Darn roo :/

Anyway I thought it could be fun to rehatch the days of repairs and success or not.. Share what works and what we've learned. Pics and such?

I've only had two I've tried to repair. The first was in the first few days. Egg was in the turner and I had no idea what cracked it. It looked like it was pushed in. I tried waxing it, but within 48 hours it quit. The second one was all my fault. I was candling a day 17 silkie egg. Slipped out of my hand, rolled down my front right into the base of the fan and cracked up one side. No membrane damage, thankfully, so I used scotch tape and taped up the back. I figured if it made it to hatch, and pipped I'd have to help it zip. It pipped and zipped by itself. Stopped at the tape pushed out and was perfectly healthy.

I've tried 3 times. One with candle wax that quit. One with Vaseline and tissue that made it to lockdown. And a third that also used Vaseline and tissue that hatch on its own.

I've tried four times, with one hatch. I was astonished the one made it.

Two of the ones that didn't start were quail with fairly big dents, and the other was a chook egg with a rolling AC, and even then it got to day 4ish.

I use new-skin to repair cracks.

Wow, very neat information... I'll take a picture of my current repairs. Unfortunately the 2 I have waxed, are OLIVE and the dark pigment is impossible to penetrate with light. No seeping or weeping of fluid, and no smell this far, I am hoping to make it to lockdown without explosions. I can't see so I just cross my fingers for them.. The cracks were pretty big...And with the wax I put all over the cracks the eggs look crazy right now.

Back
Top Bottom