Can you use a dog shock collar to teach a rooster to stop crowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here ye.........here ye.............
smile.png
)

Let the poor rooster........
wink.png

Quote:
I don't think your being very nice! (sarcasim intended).

I just don't want to upset anyone, which is something I do when speaking the truth, but I agree.

As far as barking dogs are concerned they bark for a reason and it's usually because they are chained up in the back yard.

They do have anti bark devices that are a bit more humane. There are some that when a dog barks it emits a sonic sound. I can see a rooster trying to be louder than it though. We did keep our roo in a dark coop until a decent hour in the morning. We opened that door and he would crow like his life depended on it. The neighbors were appreciative and it did work.

My chco. lab molly has an under ground fence for her saftey and i do see animals as my equals and love them dearly and am offended by so many people saying how bad shock collars are... i use them soaly for saftey purposes because we live across from a dog boarder and there are many timptations beond her fence shuch as the most dangrous curb in my county... the deapest pond around and woods so thick you cant see your own hand in front of your face. And no im not saying they dont hurt... And DON'T do the schock collar.

i actually enjoy my roosters crowing he doesn't do it all day and starts around 7am in the morning and only crows for like 30 minutes then stops. He may give a crow or 2 during the day but nothing too bad. I can even sleep through his crows they aren't very loud at all, but then my roosters are only silkies.

I wouldn't do the shock collar seems cruel and most likey you will end up killing the poor rooster. If you can't stand the crowing i reccomend you re home the rooster.

I honestly doubt it would kill the rooster, as my chickens have hit the electric fence a time or two without issue. The biggest issue as I see it is the weight of the unit, and how to attach it. We have used ours on our yellow lab 4 times (chasing a car, deer, and heading to the road twice), and it has a vibrate feature as well. Now all we have to do is hit the "buzz", and he stops, and there is no pain. If you have one with dialed up power, a vibrate option, AND you figure out how to attach it, try the vibrate/buzz first.

Tried my dog's collar, just so I know what it felt like. Even on 16, the electric fence stung more, and we have a 0.2 Joule fence.

Sorry for the trouncing folks have been giving you.

I have a dog that barks and chases the other dogs when they go outside. He starts fights this way. Rather than ending up at a vets office due to a dog fight we use a bark collar on him.
That being said I don't think it should be used on a rooster. they are too small and built too differently than a dog for it to work properly.
Check out this video on you tube of a guy "testing" a bark collar.

and finally, some of us have NO idea what a young rooster looks like compared to a pullet, go to a professional to get 4 laying hens and still manage to come home with 3 hens and a rooster. Either the guy was an idiot or a liar. I don't know which. So I have a rooster, I live in the city and it crows too much. 7 AM is ungodly time to be crowing when there are people that work many different shfts, disabled people in the community who are not up early, babies who may have just gone to sleep again after a difficult night, etc. I am not sure what I am going to do about my rooster. I am definitely NOT too attached, I am really angry that I paid $12 for a mixed breed rooster. If he had thrown him in for free I still would have said no thank you. That being said, I would NOT use a shock collar on the rooster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom