Can you use a dog shock collar to teach a rooster to stop crowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROTFLMAO! Poor little Rooster turning into a Loud Light bulb!

Every time he crows you see a bright flash in the Chicken Pen! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As far as shock collars. They are not FDA approved. Testing has been extremely limited. Here's an example. To stop a Human heart all you need is about 100ma +/- (Milli Amps) Now you have to factor in tolerance levels and body conditions. That means you might be able to take a 300ma hit and your neighbor only 6. Think of an AMP as a B.B. 1 B.B. hurts, 100 have you rolling on the ground. You can take 100 B.B.s in the behind but only one in the eye to kill you. And that is the problem with electricity. Everyone is different. This is why when you watch videos of people being tasered, one guy flops like a fish and the next guy thats on drugs keep coming toward you.

My personal Taser Experience: I was hit by a taser (On purpose, testing phase) and went to my knees. I was offered $5,000 to be hit again but take the taser out of the guys hand (I have high tolerance for electricity). I am not sure what happened, but, after the 7th shot I completely blacked out. For about a month after words, I had a twitch.

I saw a guy get hit and lose bowel and bladder control. People have been killed by tasers.

So would I use a shock collar on an animal? No way, no how, not happening. It doesn't matter if it is low voltage and amps. There is no were near the studies done to prove them safe and or effective.

I understand the noise as we have a Rooster down the street. Many a morning I wanted to roll up a newspaper and smack him around like he owes me money.

So you have really only 3 options

1. Ignore it.
2. Get rid of it.
3. Serve it up with Garlic Mashed potato's and gravy.

Using a shock collar is similar to using an electric fence, but at a MUCH lower dose. The things run on watch batteries for goodness sakes! Years ago I did try a anti-bark collar... Darn dog figured out she could bark 3 times before getting a correction w/ in the first 20 minutes of wearing it. We would hear "woof-woof-woof, pause, woof-woof-woof, she was my dog and just bored so I gave her something to do and the barking problem went away. That being said I use electric poultry net to protect my birds from foxes,cats and other nasties. Our dog has an e-collar for his invisible fence, he almost never gets corrected by it and I love the freedom it gives me to have him out in the yard while I am working- no worries about him wandering, and he gets to romp- it's a win-win as far as I am concerned. I have been a dog trainer since '86 and although I have not used a shock collar in my practice, I would NOT hesitate to use one for things like car chasing, bike chasing... or chicken chasing if I knew it would be effective. That being said, there are many breeds the collars simply do not work on. If you have a terrier, hound, or nordic breed (husky etc.) they are a waste of money. As for the roo, either get rid of him or put him in a pet carrier w/ a blanket over it at night, I would suggest putting the whole deal in the basement bukhead if you have one... just remember to let him out in the am.

Just give the happy fellow away. I'm sure you'll easily find someone in need of a rooster quickly enough. Hecl, I've had 3 roosters given to me, after a fox removed the ones I'd had.
hugs.gif

We had an electric fence for our dog since we lived in the country and were not allowed to put up fences...(we've since moved to a more liberal area!). I spent many hours talking with our vet, researching, and quizzing the company that put it in to make sure that I wouldn't hurt our dog. Every source I consulted explained that dogs have more padding on their necks with all the muscle and fur and are not as sensitive as we want to believe they are. We all look at those collars and imagine them on our necks and shiver at the thought of our vulnerable, tender skin being shocked... Anyway, I did put the silly thing in my palm and walk into the hot zone and got quite a buzz. Ouch! Again, a very sensitive area.
barnie.gif

I do know there are many varieties of these systems. Some are quite mild in their shocks and some VERY INHUMANE ones that hurt terribly and can leave burns on dog's necks. They are heavy collars and I cannot imagine they'd make one small enough for a bird. They are not designed for them either. I worry that it may be viewed as abusive to local authorities to shock your bird.

You can't really re-wire an animal to stop doing what they've genetically been designed to do. It would be like trying to get your goldfish to stop swimming.. My advice... find the poor boy a new home where he can be free to be himself. I worry if you shock him that he'll be very angry, mean, scared, aggressive, etc... and then you'd have a whole new set of problems.

I wish you well. I know these types of decisions are not easy!

I did have an experience with an underground fence system when I delivered mail. The dog not only went through it but tore my leg off and now I have a wooden leg. Ok just kidding.

Truthfully I like the underground fencing. It was a basset hound and he would not go across the line. I thought it was great as they lived on a busy road. Underground fencing is fine as far as I'm concerned. I believe dog owners should have a fenced in yard. Not only for the protection of the general public but for the dog as well.

Barking collars are really something I have no experience with. I just don't think it makes sense for a rooster. If someone who buys chicks gets a rooster and wants to return it I would take it back. Not buy it back but take it back just the same. Maybe give them another chick but not a grown hen in exchange if I had one.

Which would you city dwellers rather do, buy a definite pullet for $10 or a chick for 3-5, with the option to give the roo back and no exchange?

all the best
Rancher

Quote:
You lived in the "country" and weren't allowed to put up a fence?! Weird "country"!
roll.png

Anyway - I have no issue with shock collars on dogs. Puts me at mild odds with a "treat trainer" that I know, but she trains border collies and stuff. Whatever. I have seen some amazingly well-trained coon hounds. It wasn't done with treats! Also, the underground fences work like a charm, give the dog a better life than being in a little yard or chained, and keep them from being killed by cars. Nothing in the world wrong with that. Bark collars are different from the shock training collars, btw. Generally much wimpier.

I would not, however, use them on a roo. Potential for harm on a bird is too great, plus I don't think you can stop his crowing that way.

One one hand, after having roosters for a while I've gotten so accustomed to the crowing I don't even really hear them anymore. Like the rest, if crowing is a problem for you or neighbors or what not he should find a new home or stew pot.

One the other hand, I think it would be interesting to find out if a rooster was trainable in that way. Of course you would need to do research on what a bird could handle and you would have to custom make something (definately not a dog one) and start out very mild. It would have to be a carefully planned experiment. But only for research purposes.

Once you had the safety part of it figured out and someone actually tried it I don't think it would be considered cruel unless you think that having electric around your pens to shock predators from doing what comes natural to them is cruel also.

Bottom line, I think simply going out and strapping and useing a dog shock collar on a rooster would have disasterous results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom