Can you visably sex guinea fowl?

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
I have two guinea fowl who are about 8 months old, so no one has layed yet. I'm just wondering if you can tell what sex they are? They look the same to me and pics online look the same, but maybe I'm missing something since these are my first and only guinea fowl. Here's some pics of the two.

No, guineas are sexed by voice. Females can make a two-toned sound, that people say sounds like they're saying "buckwheat". Males can't make this noise.

I have two females myself.

0.jpg

I have two guinea fowl who are about 8 months old, so no one has layed yet. I'm just wondering if you can tell what sex they are? They look the same to me and pics online look the same, but maybe I'm missing something since these are my first and only guinea fowl. Here's some pics of the two.

As @Anira and @sarahandjay have both posted, you need to listen to their calls to determine whether they are male or female. The size and shape of the wattles can be an indicator of sex but it is not 100% accurate. The wattles on your guineas indicate that they are both likely to be males.

@ R2elk can you explain what exactly you are looking for in the size and shape? I am new to guineas have 3 females and one male and to me they look the same but then again I am not to sure what I am looking for in particular. I am assuming males are larger but what about the shape exactly?

@ R2elk can you explain what exactly you are looking for in the size and shape? I am new to guineas have 3 females and one male and to me they look the same but then again I am not to sure what I am looking for in particular. I am assuming males are larger but what about the shape exactly?

Normally, hens will have small flat wattles that lay very close on their faces. Normal males will have large cupped wattles. This is not 100% accurate for sexing since I have had males whose wattles looked identical to the hens. I have also seen photos of hen guineas (positively identified by egg laying) that had the big cupped wattles like normal males have.

I currently have two Coral Blue males whose wattles are only slightly larger than their female counterparts. My Chocolate male has one big cupped wattle and one big non-cupped wattle. My White male has big cupped wattles as did my Lite Blue male. My Powder Blue male has wattles very similar to the Coral Blue males. All of my hen guineas have small flat wattles that hold close to their faces.

White guinea cock

Royal Purple and Sky Blue guinea hens

Last edited:
Both of my hens have large, cupped wattles, and are definitely females. I would not use that method to even guess at the sex of guineas, as it would just be a guess.

Back
Top Bottom