Canadians check in here....

A good place to check if they have mites is look under the wing, that's were I check as it's nice and warm under there and less feathers so you can see them easier. Younger what's your secret to get your hens laying?? I have about 50 hens and am only getting maybe 5 eggs a day and I light them for an extra 3 hours. As for a dewormer I use Panacur liquid.

I'm in Southern Ontario also. I have 11 chickens which are only 7 months old and I'm getting 10 to 11 eggs a day.

I lay down hay and straw on the floor and have a little 25 watt bulb cookie tin heater under waterer which works perfectly. Warm enoughto keep water from freezing solid.

I powdered their bottoms with D.E. Don't really see signs of lice though. Maybe it's the spruce roosts?

I would doubt that lice or mites hiding in the coop would be very active in these temperatures. On the birds themselves sure, it's nice and toasty there, but I have a hard time imagining that the bugs could be hiding out in freezing temps and feeding on the birds when they roost.

i would highly recommend people look into essential oils as well, rosemary/thyme are known to help prevent them (they will not nulify an infestation but will prevent it!) much like specialized wood types.

I
I would doubt that lice or mites hiding in the coop would be very active in these temperatures. On the birds themselves sure, it's nice and toasty there, but I have a hard time imagining that the bugs could be hiding out in freezing temps and feeding on the birds when they roost.

I just found some on mine a few weeks ago. Lice to be specific. and in my opinion a chicken with lice or mites is at a disadvantage. Cold temps, immunity low, and lice could that a disease a healthy bird could easily overcome tip the scales. I don't mess around. Sevin dust every time.

A good place to check if they have mites is look under the wing, that's were I check as it's nice and warm under there and less feathers so you can see them easier. Younger what's your secret to get your hens laying?? I have about 50 hens and am only getting maybe 5 eggs a day and I light them for an extra 3 hours. As for a dewormer I use Panacur liquid.
No secret. I have only had chickens since April, this is my first batch. I put the lamp on for heat more than laying. We have been lucky I guess. We have 8 chickens and get 7 eggs routinely and occasionally 8. How often do you worm them? and then after worming when can I eat the eggs? Also, with the Sevin dust, where would I find this and does it affect the eggs? (can we still eat them)
Thanks for the info. I find it hard to get stuff for our chickens here in Ontario, TSC doesn't always have it.

Welcome Wobbleycockfarm
frow.gif

Well this winter has been a hard one on the chickens. Have a few roosters with frost bitten combs and wattles, one young cockerel with a couple frostbitten toes. He did not perch and was on the floor for the night, thinking he fell off the perch through the night??? So am Dr them all up. Just hope we don't get another Polar Vortex again!!!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom