Canadians check in here....

I have also found Skara Brae Farms which carries a lot of these heritage breeds http://www.skarabraefarms.com/

Anyone have any experience with them?
Skara Brae has been MIA for months now. I've tried contacting her via her site & via PSO. I'm not the only one whose been trying to contact her to no avail. She's just...gone. Hopefully everything's okay for her.

Also, Trop there are so many people out there with 'good intentions' that it's hard for sites like PSO to keep up to local reviews. I had one guy sell me EE eggs, only that a month later I found out they were just crappy barnyard mix (pink legs & single combs). I couldn't use them for my breeding plan so I had to take the time to re-home them.

When I confronted him via e-mail he said it wasn't even his eggs, he was selling for a neighbour who didn't have internet connection. And that the farmer knew they weren't real EE's since they had other roo breeds mixed in with the flock.

That lost me a whole month of hatching plus it was depressing (I've been trying to get out of a huge slump, esp with my current health). But he's still on PSO, selling stuff. (Although we initially met via kijiji).

Not much you can do in that case. It's all just "he said, she said" :(

Last edited:
Skara Brae has been MIA for months now. I've tried contacting her via her site & via PSO. I'm not the only one whose been trying to contact her to no avail. She's just...gone. Hopefully everything's okay for her.

Also, Trop there are so many people out there with 'good intentions' that it's hard for sites like PSO to keep up to local reviews. I had one guy sell me EE eggs, only that a month later I found out they were just crappy barnyard mix (pink legs & single combs). I couldn't use them for my breeding plan so I had to take the time to re-home them.

When I confronted him via e-mail he said it wasn't even his eggs, he was selling for a neighbour who didn't have internet connection. And that the farmer knew they weren't real EE's since they had other roo breeds mixed in with the flock.

That lost me a whole month of hatching plus it was depressing (I've been trying to get out of a huge slump, esp with my current health). But he's still on PSO, selling stuff. (Although we initially met via kijiji).

In regards to Skara Brae, I did see her personally in July and I know she was just going through a "big deal" in her life right now. Please be patient and try getting a hold of her in the Spring.
She really is a super person, and has some lovely birds.

Oh I am sorry to hear you weren't able to connect with the lady at SkaraBrae. I sent an email via her website and heard back from her I believe in 24hrs. Since then we have had a few back and forth e-mails.

Yes I don't imagine that PSO could keep up with monitoring ALL activity especially since there are small farms and kijji feeds all selling chicks. I don't expect that.

In regards to Skara Brae, I did see her personally in July and I know she was just going through a "big deal" in her life right now. Please be patient and try getting a hold of her in the Spring.
She really is a super person, and has some lovely birds.
Oh yes for sure, she is a very wonderful person. I couldn't agree more. I'm sad she was/is dealing with so much & I sincerely hope things get better for her soon. Thank you FRF & Trop for letting me know she's picking up again.

And trust me, I'm using every ounce of patience I can muster to wait for next Spring (or I'd be e-mailing her all year^^). I initially contacted her this last Spring because she's the only one in the area I know who sells SFH's & I wanted a little hen to help me fight through my declining health. I don't need one for breeding or anything; they've just been a symbol of strength for me.

Unfortunately I had a huge flood here (in the coop & the garage) so I couldn't take in any birds till things cleared up. By the time I was able to check back in, there was no response from either of her contact forms & users in PSO were saying she went MIA. Just to give a bit of a background.

Oh I am sorry to hear you weren't able to connect with the lady at SkaraBrae. I sent an email via her website and heard back from her I believe in 24hrs. Since then we have had a few back and forth e-mails.

Yes I don't imagine that PSO could keep up with monitoring ALL activity especially since there are small farms and kijji feeds all selling chicks. I don't expect that.

Oh yes for sure, she is a very wonderful person. I couldn't agree more. I'm sad she was/is dealing with so much & I sincerely hope things get better for her soon. Thank you FRF & Trop for letting me know she's picking up again.

And trust me, I'm using every ounce of patience I can muster to wait for next Spring (or I'd be e-mailing her all year^^). I initially contacted her this last Spring because she's the only one in the area I know who sells SFH's & I wanted a little hen to help me fight through my declining health. I don't need one for breeding or anything; they've just been a symbol of strength for me.

Unfortunately I had a huge flood here (in the coop & the garage) so I couldn't take in any birds till things cleared up. By the time I was able to check back in, there was no response from either of her contact forms & users in PSO were saying she went MIA. Just to give a bit of a background.
Well we are in the same boat you and I. My patience has to be practiced because I am SUPER excited to get chickens. I am a newbie so I didn't realize most breeders and hatcheries stopped for the fall/winter. It makes sense though - we have cold *** winters so not the best time to be raising chicks. Does SFH stand for Swedish Flower Hen? I had never heard of these until I saw them on Skara Brae's site. And they have definitely made it on my short list to want to own. :) MAN I CAN'T WAIT.

Nice to know she is in demand though. I will definitely be putting in an order early to make sure I can get what I would like - she has a wonderful variety of chickens.

With regards to the feed from homestead orgaincs, I have been using both their grower and layer feeds. My only complaints are that the chickens avoid the roasted soy beans, which are the main protein source of the feed, and also refuse to eat all the powdery stuff it contains. I overcome some of this by mixing a little warm water and oatmeal with the powder, most of that is readily eaten, but they still spit out the soy. This being said, I ran out of the grower and gave them the feed from the coop. I noticed that their poop smells terrible, so will put up with the powder and go back to the orgainc feed.

With regards to the feed from homestead orgaincs, I have been using both their grower and layer feeds. My only complaints are that the chickens avoid the roasted soy beans, which are the main protein source of the feed, and also refuse to eat all the powdery stuff it contains. I overcome some of this by mixing a little warm water and oatmeal with the powder, most of that is readily eaten, but they still spit out the soy. This being said, I ran out of the grower and gave them the feed from the coop. I noticed that their poop smells terrible, so will put up with the powder and go back to the orgainc feed.
Hi squishychick, I spoke to Tom at Homestead Organics and they sell a soy-free chicken feed as well. The only thing is that you have to call some time ahead and they will make the mix for you. They don't keep it in regular stock so you have to call and specifically ask for their chicken starter, grower or whatever you need but to make it soy-free. :) So maybe your chickens will like that one better.

Now I am not sure what they use as the protein replacement so you may need to ask him about that. Also, maybe mention to them your experience with the powder. Maybe they can adjust the formula a bit! Who knows.

This is the answer I got from Tom at Homestead Organics

Yes, we are able to obtain the same protein level of 20% for starter without soybeans by using flax and peas. However, there is some anecdotal feedback the growth rate of the birds is slightly slower. Soybeans have the better balance of a wide range of amino acids (proteins) compared to flax and peas. Without soybeans, we cannot achieve the same balance of amino acids and the growth rate will be affected.

Yes, we can prepare custom recipes, minimum order is 6 bags.

Back
Top Bottom