Canadians check in here....

Thanks TropBeaucoup, I will see if I can try a bag of the pea formula to see if they like it better. I think a lot of the powder in the feed is the flax meal. I can't imagine they would have a slower growth than they currently are, seeing as they are just plain not eating those all important amino acids. I guess this is where all the other goodies they get help to fill the gap.

Thanks TropBeaucoup, I will see if I can try a bag of the pea formula to see if they like it better. I think a lot of the powder in the feed is the flax meal. I can't imagine they would have a slower growth than they currently are, seeing as they are just plain not eating those all important amino acids. I guess this is where all the other goodies they get help to fill the gap.
Do you ferment your feed at all? If you moisten it so they'll eat the powdery stuff then fermenting isn't really much of a bigger step than what you're already doing. Fermenting also helps reduce the anti-nutrients in the grains.

Hello I am from onoway AB and I have just joined this forum!! Me and my boyfriend have a small flock of 12 americuana mix and 4 barhmas chickens but we are looking to expand!!! The one things we are looking for are jersey giants.

Hello I am from onoway AB and I have just joined this forum!! Me and my boyfriend have a small flock of 12 americuana mix and 4 barhmas chickens but we are looking to expand!!! The one things we are looking for are jersey giants.

If you look back threw this thread you should find some links to Canadian breeders you can order from. Welcome to back yard chickens!

Took a semi-long hiatus from BYC & other chicken forums over much of the Spring/Summer. Lots to focus on at the little farm & my other hobbies. Now things have started slowing down so I've more time for chicken talk.

I'd love to look for some friends in the Ottawa, Ontario area. Anyone who wants to trade e-mails, farm stories & maybe even swap eggs, feathers, fluffbutts or visit each other if the friendship hits off well!

I've quail, chickens, turkeys & ducks here. And I'm totally up to any feathered-talk, even house pets like finches! Toss me a PM please so I won't miss your reply.
Hi Quailsong - we are in CURRAN ON and I work in Ottawa :) I think we might have chatted before about Skara Brae. On that - she has gone MIA for me now too. She mentioned having a lot of things to juggle. I really hope though that she is able to get back at the business come early spring. She has all the breeds I want!

what breed of chickens do you have? We don't yet have anything - we unfortunately were too late in the season it seems to be able to get chicks when we started to get ready. Because our chicken coop isn't quite completed yet we can't take anything much older than a a few weeks old. The coop should be done in about 2wks.

Last edited:
Hi there!

Just joined from Carvel, Alberta (west of Stony Plain).
I have 6 chickens of who know's what breed. 5 are roos and 1 is a hen. Looking to add more hens real quick!

Back
Top Bottom