Candling eggs Day 21

Thank you for the info on floating eggs!!! I was searching to see if I could candle this late. My hen is on day 20+. We were on vacation when she began setting so who knows......I've been anxiously checking the eggs and so far nothing.......the air sac is large, and since the eggs are dark brown, all I can see is a certain large area filled (hopefully with babies)
There was a really bad smell the other day. An egg burst........she began with 12 and down to 6........I cleaned her nest and now it's hard to tell if the eggs are good or bad with the lingering odor.

So can or cant you candle eggs on the 21st day. i have 11 eggs under a broody chicken and need to candle them to see if any have chicks

Ive searched and cant find what an egg candled will look like at day 21, ive heard you will start to see a thing moving into the air sack? but not sure..

The eggs are all DARK!! cannot see anything on the big side,but right next to the airsac you can see blood veins.

The eggs dont stink,theyre not weeping or anthing...

just dark.no light will shine through for the most part.

Last week i could see chicks moving around in them but now just dark...Is this a good thing??????????

I have heard no noises from the eggs.
I candled on day 21...more than once
1f62c.png

It was my first ever shot at incubating and I pretty much broke all the rules ,I won't next time (not as much anyway.. I can't help it)
I was very careful,did so in a warm room and was quick about it.
Anyways,Yes! You can see a lil cute head-shadow moving by/into the air sac it looks like a shadow puppet w/a teensy beak ;)
I figured a hen must rearrange,potty...Eat...I know she is very addament,but she's still alive,she has to move ,so I felt safe in checking,candling and listening thru out the deliveries :)

I candled on day 21...more than once
1f62c.png

It was my first ever shot at incubating and I pretty much broke all the rules ,I won't next time (not as much anyway.. I can't help it)
I was very careful,did so in a warm room and was quick about it.
Anyways,Yes! You can see a lil cute head-shadow moving by/into the air sac it looks like a shadow puppet w/a teensy beak ;)
I figured a hen must rearrange,potty...Eat...I know she is very addament,but she's still alive,she has to move ,so I felt safe in checking,candling and listening thru out the deliveries :)
They are resting right now really laying down some zzz' for the energy they will need to zip on out. It's possible there could be problems,but this is the part where the real patience kicks in :) it's so hard not to knock and wake and help. If you do risk it (opening bator) all I did was click/tap
Lightly on the egg to see if I could get a pip ;)

Last edited:
I'm curious I have no clue what day my broody hens are on with her eggs I didn't realize I had a broody hen since kids check for eggs and I had seen her out every day. So last week I decided to look under her and she looks like an egg hoarder lol. I looked at a couple of the eggs and I could see it was almost full. So tonight curious i decided to see if she would let me check the eggs and remove the ones that I believe the other hens were still laying in the box when broody would get up. I have about ten that seem to be full of chicken. I didn't notice movement but there was still veins and a tiny part of the egg that looked empty. I would love to know what day the eggs are and I read that as chick can stick to the egg if not moved. Any one have any idea on how far my eggs could be. I did very carefully mark them justin case the other hens snuck in and laid more I counted10 that were dark except few veins and looked empty at bottom of egg

Back
Top Bottom