Can't find answer - NJ?

WillowISA

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Are chickens legal in Hamilton, NJ and if so how many are allowed and can you have roosters? Hamilton Twp. just knocked on the door asking if we had chickens/roosters and I said no because unfortunately we lost our pullet yesterday morning. The neighbor though has over a dozen hens and a rooster so I believe someone called re: the rooster. I can;t find anywhere though if hens are legal. I would like to get another hen or two at some point, but not if the twp. is going to have a problem.

Thanks!
Saranna

Bumping up. I emailed our zoning board as well, but have not heard anything.

if you hear anything please post here. My daughter and her family live in Hamilton (Mercer County) NJ. I have been trying to find the same information. No luck so far.

Ok I searched the www.municode.com for you and I couldn't find ANYTHING to say you couldnt have chickens in residential areas...either in the ordinances or the zoning section. The following is all I did find.

Distance between adjacent buildings. The minimum distance between an accessory building and any other building(s) on the same lot shall be as prescribed in article III, except that no poultry or livestock shelter shall be erected nearer than 100 feet to any dwelling on the same lot.

(d)
Height of accessory buildings. The height of accessory buildings shall be as prescribed in article III.

(e)
Location. An accessory building may be erected in side and rear yard areas only and shall be set back from side and rear lot lines as prescribed in article III, except that, if erected on a corner lot, the accessory building shall be set back from the side street to comply with the setback line applying to the principal building for that side street and except further than [that] no poultry or livestock shelter shall be erected nearer than 100 feet to any lot lines. Unless otherwise noted in article III, accessory buildings shall meet the setback lines for the principal building.
Sec. 22-1. - Structures for keeping animals.

No person shall erect, construct or maintain within the township any shed, coop, runway or pen, for horses, cattle, swine, sheep, goats, rabbits, poultry or pigeons, which is nearer than 100 feet to any door or window of a dwelling, nor shall any shed, coop, runway or pen be kept in an unclean or otherwise unsanitary condition.

Animals. In every hotel, motel, roominghouse, rooming unit and boardinghouse, there shall not be kept, harbored or maintained in any room in such establishment or on the outside grounds or premises any rabbit, parakeet, chicken, pigeon, dog, goat, sheep, cat or any other animal, bird or fowl unless the facilities for maintaining the animal are such that an unsanitary or unsafe condition will not be created or maintained.
Financial responsibility.

(1)
In addition to those procedures established as a deterrent to juvenile acts of vandalism and to parental neglect of child supervision pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:53A-14, and upon the conviction of any juvenile under the age of 18 years for any high misdemeanor, misdemeanor or violation of any statutes of the state or ordinances of the township, which acts include vandalism and destruction or damage to realty, personalty, pets, animals, livestock or other chattel, the parent or lawful guardian of such juvenile shall be responsible for financial reimbursement to the victim of such crime or offenses.
XIV.
To establish and regulate one or more pounds and to restrain and regulate the running at large of horses, cattle, swine and other animals, geese and other poultry, and to authorize the impounding and sale of the same for the penalty incurred and the costs of keeping and impounding the same.

Ah. Thank you. I guess this means that my daughter who lives in a small house even though she has a double lot would not be able to keep chickens. Oh well. Maybe we could still have my granddaughter, "chicken sit" on occasion.

Are chickens legal in Hamilton, NJ and if so how many are allowed and can you have roosters? Hamilton Twp. just knocked on the door asking if we had chickens/roosters and I said no because unfortunately we lost our pullet yesterday morning. The neighbor though has over a dozen hens and a rooster so I believe someone called re: the rooster. I can;t find anywhere though if hens are legal. I would like to get another hen or two at some point, but not if the twp. is going to have a problem.

Thanks!
Saranna

I live in Hamilton Twp, NJ and I have had chickens in my backyard for a while. I was harassed several times by our corrupt zoning officer Mike Cosma regarding my chickens but he was never able to bring me evidence of an ordinance that prohibited chickens. Recently I received a violation notice that sited ordinances 160-74 and 160-75 which apparently state that you can keep up to 2 domesticated animals in your backyard. The funny thing is that they are accusing me of keeping "wild" animals. Since when have chickens been considered "wild"? They were domesticated around the time dogs and cats were domesticated. Anyway, I am going to plead not guilty to their stupid claims and prove to them that my chickens are perfectly domesticated and that they are great pets. I doubt they will be able to argue against that. It's sad that I am allowed to buy and keep dead chickens in my fridge but I am not allowed to have live ones in my backyard. Sadistic world we live in.

@Redkit whats become of your chickens? did they take them away or do they just give notices and stuff? i think its stupid that you cant have chickens. If we can have a dog which can bite a person or a cat which can scratch, i think harmless chickens should not be a problem if handled with care. Which i am sure you do handle with care. :) good luck

Unfortunately I was unable to keep them. Turns out the zone that I live in does not allow chickens, however some of the zones that surround me do allow them.

I would highly recommend that you check with your zoning officer to find out if they are allowed where you live. It's heartbreaking to have to give away your chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom