Can't find this worm anywhere, but It's in multiple nasal openings

crb1487

Songster
8 Years
Mar 19, 2015
Omak, WA
Note: images are at 60x magification. Would appreciate feedback and safe treatment options.
Little buggers are squirmy and almost translucent white

Hen with micro sized worms in nasal area. This is 2nd hen found with problem. Problem noticed because of her staying off the roost, no other noticeable symptoms other than breathing through beak

1st hen found when infection to lungs caused abdominal fluid pressure causing impaired oxygen intake. Currently undergoing antibiotic therapy and abdominal draining. Did not however, see what was causing her powdery buildup in her nose because, when first treating her after her comb started turning dark from lack of oxygen, I noticed a nasal blockage and proceeded to scrape the bulk of it off, but was unable to get her to cooperate with my phone magnifier up to her nasal openings after that...
Now, knowing what I found with this lady...
I've gone BK out to the hen house and found at least half of my hens and roosters in varying stages of the same affliction. "Time for concern"

Nothing about a "nasal worm" but plenty about eye or gape worms.

Upon inspection tonight, I'm confident, there are no signs of eye worms in any of my decent sized flock. However, can't rule out it being and "overflow" of worms that may be coming from their lungs, however, everything I've read says Gape worms are red, not micro, thread sized, translucent white wiggler's that I can't see with just my eyes

Left nostril. Fairly easy to to notice once seen.

Right nostril. Barely noticeable unless up close.

Hens pose with breathing blocked in nose

Okay, that is pretty gross. D:

Do you have access to a vet where you live? Mine will charge more for visits, but can run fecal and skin scrapings if I bring them in for a smaller fee. My gut reaction would be to treat like gap worm, but hopefully you get answers so that you know how it's being spread.

Interesting, but so gross!

I was sure that's what it was, but, my magnified look shows these look nothing like them. They're red and much longer. These, aren't even visible til they're ubra magnified and I'd of never even looked except for that strange powdery blickage.

I've never seen anything like these. Especially never seen these microworms in the nasal openings. They are literally, that small. If I hadn't gotten this 1 hen to sit for me for these few shots, I wouldn't have seen them. I initially was looking for some strange inflammation to show some sort of sickness, cold or something, "not moving"
Never expected to see things wriggling.

So, I'm sure this can't be a new thing, but probably something, not very common. Some strange coincidence from the awful neighboring conditions or the natural wildlife that flies in... Til a couple weeks ago, I noticed nothing (from this) . Did bring 1 hen in a couple more ago because she was starving because of a few bully hens, but, she's the only 1 with absolutely, shiny clean nasal openings.
I'm sure it's most likely caused by their declined winter outdoor range. They were extremely indoor bound for 1in 3years due to excessive winter weather. I couldn't get them out their coop door, not even with their favorite foods.

It's likely, this is something that incubated in their hen house and is only starting to grow heavy enough to start causing issues.

But, yes, I'm thinking a nasal scraping might be my next move if I don't find out what they are here. I was hoping a point in the right direction without having to give my local rural vet my next born child.
1f609.png

I've heard there's a treatment (not Ivermectin) that's "supposedly" treats all types of worms. Not sure which treatment though.

Read something on some sort of paralyzing drops, but, I can't seem to find the reference to it again.

Oh, I don't mean that they are, what I mean is that (if I recall) with gap worms you have to do measured doses so that the parasites don't all die at once and choke your bird.

And I'm sure you thought of it, but major sure you're cleaning your scrapeing device/hands between birds! Not knowing their life cycle, you could be spreading eggs to uninfected birds.

I think any vet can look at the scrapings and tell you what you have, and not charge you a nextborn child. My vet does fecal floats or tests scrapings for a reasonable price, which has saved me putting the wrong meds in the chickens. The wisest course of action would be to find out what exactly you're treating, so you can give the appropriate medication in the appropriate doses. :)

I've heard there's a treatment (not Ivermectin) that's "supposedly" treats all types of worms. Not sure which treatment though.

Read something on some sort of paralyzing drops, but, I can't seem to find the reference to it again.

I'm working a split shift tomorrow. I'll see if Feb get something to her then.

Was really hoping someone has dealt with these before.

Thank you both though

Those could be air sac mites. I'm not that familiar with them, but online sites say that moxidexin and ivermectin will treat them. However, I would wonder what Casportpony suggests since she is pretty up to date on worm treatments.

Note: images are at 60x magification. Would appreciate feedback and safe treatment options.
Little buggers are squirmy and almost translucent white

Hen with micro sized worms in nasal area. This is 2nd hen found with problem. Problem noticed because of her staying off the roost, no other noticeable symptoms other than breathing through beak

1st hen found when infection to lungs caused abdominal fluid pressure causing impaired oxygen intake. Currently undergoing antibiotic therapy and abdominal draining. Did not however, see what was causing her powdery buildup in her nose because, when first treating her after her comb started turning dark from lack of oxygen, I noticed a nasal blockage and proceeded to scrape the bulk of it off, but was unable to get her to cooperate with my phone magnifier up to her nasal openings after that...
Now, knowing what I found with this lady...
I've gone BK out to the hen house and found at least half of my hens and roosters in varying stages of the same affliction. "Time for concern"

Nothing about a "nasal worm" but plenty about eye or gape worms.

Upon inspection tonight, I'm confident, there are no signs of eye worms in any of my decent sized flock. However, can't rule out it being and "overflow" of worms that may be coming from their lungs, however, everything I've read says Gape worms are red, not micro, thread sized, translucent white wiggler's that I can't see with just my eyes

Left nostril. Fairly easy to to notice once seen.

Right nostril. Barely noticeable unless up close.

Hens pose with breathing blocked in nose
@casportpony you should see these images

Back
Top Bottom