Can't Machine Quilt...Why Does Machine Skip?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I hand quilt everything, always have. This Brother CS6000i is a neat little machine, but I cannot make it sew through two layers of fabric and the batting w/o skipping stitches. I've adjusted tension up and down and I can't make it work. I'd love to learn to machine quilt so small projects could be turned out faster, but it ain't happening.

This is my issue in the photo below. Feed dogs are still up, tension between 4 and 5 when I did this. I'm not forcing it through. I can't control it at all when feed dogs are down. It's way worse. I'm so frustrated. I wish someone could come here and figure out how to quilt on this machine and show me how. Piecing on it is great, but I want to quilt on it, too, dang it.

Thanks for your input.
smile.png
The dust is out, trust me. This machine is really touchy about that. So far, with feed dogs up and stitches at 3-4 mm, it's working great! I can do it! It's not skipping at all, just have to keep a steady pace. I'm probably not really ready for free motion quilting, need something to follow, but just that little tidbit about the longer stitch length helped tremendously. I'll have to get some more cheapie batting to play with so I can do the feed dogs down free motion stuff.

I've seen some folks have those extra large extension tables they buy for their machines and/or they use a silicone spray to help slide the fabric-do either of you have one of those huge table things you attach to your machine? I have a regular table that came with mine but not one of the expensive super large ones.

ETA: Tried feed dogs down. Can't get fabric to even move a smidge. With them up, works great. I also have one of those darning feet in addition to the walking foot, maybe that is what you need for free motion? This one:
I don't use an extension table…have a Singer Xl 1000, drop the feed dogs, attach the embroider darning foot = looks a lot like that but metal. Instructions said to use zig zag at narrow width, long stitch, but mine does better at straight stitch, 3-4 mm……If you are doing free hand, don't worry relax, but don't try to move the quilt fast. Don't worry if it's not perfect, when all is finished only you will notice. Your sample you posted with feed dogs up is working. Maybe your feed dogs are really down?? When you set the feed dogs if they are down, the surface on the sewing plate area is smooth. When they are up, you will see and feel the dog teeth sitting up. Regardless, your sewing example looks great. The rule is try not to cross lines and not go too long in one direction. Front to back is easier, sideways go really slow. But personally I like loops, swirls and love to break the rules...
lau.gif

Good luck on a real project. Try using latex or rubber gloves to hold the item, or those curved with open end holding things for machine quilting, to keep the layers together.

Break the rules….start at a side, not the middle like most say. and work slowly across and out and around. I have done a full size quilt without the extension…but your arms and shoulders will tell the tale!!

Don't give up. Quilting by machine gets results much quicker than by hand.

Of course, I still need thimble practice, cannot get the hang of non-motorized stuff….

looks like u are doing quite well..and don't try to be a perfectionist....I know I am one to, my husband keeps telling me "so what the only one who really knows it is you"...but in quilting I feel like more people will see it, but you know very few people look "intensely" at the quilting either unless they happen to be a sewer also..we spend all that time on learning to quilt and then quilting and it goes partly unnoticed....
hit.gif
but I have found that if i use a contrasting thread or one of the newer blended threads more people comment on the quilting..(food for thought) when i do the straight line quilting i will often use a disappearing marker so that i can get my lines straight..I have even turned my machine side ways (open end facing me) to quilt on a very large project..keeping your project level off the arm is also important if u don't have a flat surface for your machine. There are so many little tips and secrets to quilting I just go with trial and error..what worked for one quilter may not work for another..and personal preference is at the utmost important. I am doing some of the paper piecing with freezer paper, but actually what I meant in my previous post is I will mark my QUILTING design on it and then quilt and tear away..for some designs this works better for me than trying to just eyeballing it..
GOOD LUCK

Okay, tried the quilting foot, feed dogs down with a scrap piece. EPIC FAIL. I can't move the fabric easily, it's all over the place, can't make circular motions, it's all spiky. I may be stuck on stitch in the ditch for the time being using the walking foot. Sheesh. I'm still machine-challenged.
sad.png

On the other hand, this ugly little quilt is now finished and has a job to do, on the back of my recliner. Better used than sitting in a lonely plastic tote.

Last edited:
I have a couple of small quilts that I did the binding differently. I machine stitched it to the BACK, and then folded it over and did a decorative stitch on the front. I have a slightly fancier machine that does like 300 different stitches, including an alligator and ducklings.

Your quilting looks very even on this one. Nice job!

After going to the doctor, both DH and I, for routine lab work and check in, we both got something there. I have not been sick in literally years, but I sure am now. In spite of the elephant sitting on my face, I finished the machine quilting on this 42x54" lap quilt/couch throw. Will bind later when I feel better.

That is a beautiful wall hanging. I love the colors in it.

I pieced this baby blanket today from 8" blocks I had already done. The frog flannel will go on back-it was part of the mistaken order that Thousands of Bolts sent me a few years ago and told me to keep. Seems perfect for a spring baby blanket with birds and flowers on the front. Of course, I'll machine quilt it with the lavender Gutermann cotton thread I bought a week ago. I love that thread; may be my imagination but my machine seems to like it, too.

It's together, just not stitched around the front yet.

Last edited:
I got my Machingers in the mail today and they fit perfectly! I ordered Sm/Med, fingers are not too long, fits like a glove (pun intended, hehe) should work just fine.

Woke with headache but am on the last block of the big Dresden Plate quilt, still need to do some sashings and miscellaneous "cleanup" work, then will start the border. Here it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom