Can't Machine Quilt...Why Does Machine Skip?

We have the same machine and sometimes bits of thread get stuck in the machinery. I would look for that issue, and if that isn't the problem, try a different needle.

Been working on a big hand quilting project, finishing an elderly lady's hand quilted king size, but after working on that for hours today, took a break to machine quilt this table topper of my goober of a rooster, Deacon. Still not the best at it, but getting better. Was finished in a flash. I can imagine how much easier it would be with a larger throat on the machine.

Table topper is great…love the rooster…where did you get the rooster square?

After going to the doctor, both DH and I, for routine lab work and check in, we both got something there. I have not been sick in literally years, but I sure am now. In spite of the elephant sitting on my face, I finished the machine quilting on this 42x54" lap quilt/couch throw. Will bind later when I feel better.

After going to the doctor, both DH and I, for routine lab work and check in, we both got something there. I have not been sick in literally years, but I sure am now. In spite of the elephant sitting on my face, I finished the machine quilting on this 42x54" lap quilt/couch throw. Will bind later when I feel better.

clap.gif
Nicely done. You are getting expert at the machine quilting, next you'll be giving the advice.

So sorry you are sick. That stuff has been going around here since the Fall. Thought I would avoid it but got it when I let someone use my cellphone..
sad.png
Bet you caught it on magazines or from the chairs. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take time off, rest and get well.

clap.gif
Nicely done. You are getting expert at the machine quilting, next you'll be giving the advice.

So sorry you are sick. That stuff has been going around here since the Fall. Thought I would avoid it but got it when I let someone use my cellphone..
sad.png
Bet you caught it on magazines or from the chairs. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take time off, rest and get well.
I doubt that, but thank you. I want to get back to learning to free motion soon. I ordered some of those Machingers gloves off Amazon when I ordered chalk liner refills. Found some a few dollars cheaper with no shipping so I thought maybe it would help. A bigger throat on the machine would certainly help, too, but I have what I have and that's what I will keep trying to learn on until I can get enough $$ saved to buy a machine just for the free motion stuff.

@speckledhen

This is a photo from ebay of what I have:
A singer Xl 1000 , the bed is not large, but I do a lot of freehand quilting. The flat part is 5 inches or less. If yours is this wide you should be able to do it. The key, IMO, is moving slow and being relaxed.

Relaxed IS the key. I always have less problems with machine quilting when I relax.

I want to pick up some quilters gloves. I think they would help with my carpal tunnel, but I haven't found any that were comfortable when I tried them on. They were either to loose and flappy on my hands or the fingers were too short. I have my dad's hands, and as he says - they are the hands of a brain surgeon. Long thin fingers. They also have arthritis...

Spring fever hits:

Fat Quarter Batiks

Clearance rack - $2 per yard

Back
Top Bottom