Can't Machine Quilt...Why Does Machine Skip?

That is a beautiful wall hanging. I love the colors in it.

I pieced this baby blanket today from 8" blocks I had already done. The frog flannel will go on back-it was part of the mistaken order that Thousands of Bolts sent me a few years ago and told me to keep. Seems perfect for a spring baby blanket with birds and flowers on the front. Of course, I'll machine quilt it with the lavender Gutermann cotton thread I bought a week ago. I love that thread; may be my imagination but my machine seems to like it, too.

It's together, just not stitched around the front yet.
I think the frog fabric is perfect for the backing…once again, gorgeous color combinations..
clap.gif

That is a beautiful wall hanging. I love the colors in it. I pieced this baby blanket today from 8" blocks I had already done. The frog flannel will go on back-it was part of the mistaken order that Thousands of Bolts sent me a few years ago and told me to keep. Seems perfect for a spring baby blanket with birds and flowers on the front. Of course, I'll machine quilt it with the lavender Gutermann cotton thread I bought a week ago. I love that thread; may be my imagination but my machine seems to like it, too. It's together, just not stitched around the front yet.
That's lovely!

Thank you both.

As far as the large Dresden Plate quilt I have been hired to finish hand quilting for someone's grandmother, I have only one block left to do, a few sashing strips, some "clean up" work that she didn't do (like outline-quilting one of the plates on an otherwise completed block) then the border and binding. I have spent 59 hours on it to this point so my original guesstimate of 76 hours is probably not terribly off base, though I'm not sure how fast the border will go. I'll be doing something similar to this swag-and-bow stencil I have, though a bit enlarged and maybe a more simplified bow. I think that goes with the Dresden Plate pattern and the pale pink and muslin fabric of the border. It's a very feminine quilt.

I got my Machingers in the mail today and they fit perfectly! I ordered Sm/Med, fingers are not too long, fits like a glove (pun intended, hehe) should work just fine.

Woke with headache but am on the last block of the big Dresden Plate quilt, still need to do some sashings and miscellaneous "cleanup" work, then will start the border. Here it is.

Last edited:
I got my Machingers in the mail today and they fit perfectly! I ordered Sm/Med, fingers are not too long, fits like a glove (pun intended, hehe) should work just fine.

Woke with headache but am on the last block of the big Dresden Plate quilt, still need to do some sashings and miscellaneous "cleanup" work, then will start the border. Here it is.

Love it.

Hey, all. I made quite a bit of progress on my bed quilt so I took some time to try to free motion again today. OMG, I was breaking thread and I even broke a needle once, but finally, I got the tension fixed and got more in the groove. I'm having trouble with making my swirls round when I change direction, but here are two pieces I did today. I think the 2nd one is an improvement on the 1st. I told myself I would not buy a new machine until I can prove that I may be able to learn to do this! Why waste $500-700 if I don't think I'll be able to learn this skill, right?

My problem is, I don't know enough to know what parts are my fault and what parts are due to the machine I'm using. I'm sure it's mostly me, but would I do better on a machine really made for machine quilting with a killer straight stitch, like a Juki 2010Q or the Brother PQ 1500S?

#1's pitiful attempt:

#2 slightly better attempt. More even stitches, overall, more rounded shapes, not as "zig-zaggy" where I was trying to be round.

My DH found one of his old sketch pads and I've been practicing drawing continuous swirls of various types, trying not to box myself in, in an attempt to get some muscle memory. It's not that easy to do, even with a marker on paper, and even more difficult trying to draw with a needle. I'm not giving up.

Hey, all. I made quite a bit of progress on my bed quilt so I took some time to try to free motion again today. OMG, I was breaking thread and I even broke a needle once, but finally, I got the tension fixed and got more in the groove. I'm having trouble with making my swirls round when I change direction, but here are two pieces I did today. I think the 2nd one is an improvement on the 1st. I told myself I would not buy a new machine until I can prove that I may be able to learn to do this! Why waste $500-700 if I don't think I'll be able to learn this skill, right?

My problem is, I don't know enough to know what parts are my fault and what parts are due to the machine I'm using. I'm sure it's mostly me, but would I do better on a machine really made for machine quilting with a killer straight stitch, like a Juki 2010Q or the Brother PQ 1500S?

#1's pitiful attempt:

#2 slightly better attempt. More even stitches, overall, more rounded shapes, not as "zig-zaggy" where I was trying to be round.

My DH found one of his old sketch pads and I've been practicing drawing continuous swirls of various types, trying not to box myself in, in an attempt to get some muscle memory. It's not that easy to do, even with a marker on paper, and even more difficult trying to draw with a needle. I'm not giving up.

Not bad! I'm horrible at it, and its definitely an art in itself! My mother was so good at it, but I have tried it only very little. I can say that it is easier on some machines though. Some machines just seem to make it difficult on their own, without even considering a beginner trying to learn! Yes, I blame it on the machine! haha

I do remember Mom telling me that nice flowing music always helped her free-motion work, although I can't remember what specific music. Good luck!

Music, huh? Have to think about that.

I had issues with the machine for real. I did the second one nicely, then something started happening. The needle quit catching the bobbin thread. I cleaned, rethreaded, everything I could think of, still the same. So, then, I changed to a better thread. Seemed to help. Then, again, it messed up on the last piece I tried and I gave up and went to bed. I have no idea what the issue is. Heard a very high pitched whine, checked the manual, fixed everything it said to check, still no dice. If it's a machine issue, I wouldn't really know. There is no place to have a machine serviced around this place. I live in Bumblesquat, as my son calls it.

I said this on another of my threads, but since it's quilt-related, I'm repeating it here. I have been trying to work on that rooster bed runner today. Started machine quilting the first block, hated the look, pulled it all out. Reminded me of cheap Walmart crap. So, I did quilt around the center squares with the machine with the yellow thread, but I think the other thread should be black, not yellow, just don't have good quality black here. And I don't know what kind of quilting to do, either. I am having a hard time ( and so is my machine) getting the hang of free motion quilting. Don't want to ruin my own bed runner.

Started the day by practicing free motion. Got frustrated. Went to hand quilting my Tennessee Waltz bed quilt I'm working on. My fingers went numb three different times, quit that. Pulled out the Masters of Mountain View bed runner to start on and I already told you how that is going. Sigh.

Tried again and again. The thread keeps breaking (lowered tension, still does, wonder if there's a burr inside). Even when I match the speed with pushing the fabric, it starts doing long and/or skipped stitches. I am beginning to believe it is my machine, not just my ineptitude.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom