Can't Machine Quilt...Why Does Machine Skip?

Relaxed IS the key. I always have less problems with machine quilting when I relax.

I want to pick up some quilters gloves. I think they would help with my carpal tunnel, but I haven't found any that were comfortable when I tried them on. They were either to loose and flappy on my hands or the fingers were too short. I have my dad's hands, and as he says - they are the hands of a brain surgeon. Long thin fingers. They also have arthritis...

Spring fever hits:

Fat Quarter Batiks

Clearance rack - $2 per yard
Cannot beat the $2 / yard price.

RE: grips...I tried quilt grippers that fit on finger tips, would not stay on. Tried latex gloves…too clumsy. Got something like the Quilt Halo:

This is photo of quilt halo on Amazon. My tool is old now, more like a horse shoe with an opening at the top. But I think the Halo circle would work better. It does reduce the stress on hands and wrists, keeps the quilt flat and helps with directional changes. Just place on top and sew.

Oh no! chickens, ducks, and Quilting in one forum... Wow!! Now I never have to sign off! Haha
I have to go back and read this entire thread but still wanted to say hello!!!

Some beautiful work I see here. My mother was a huge quilter! Of 4 daughters, I was the only one that even wanted to learn, so she taught me little by little over about 20 years. I started with a cheap Montgomery Ward machine, then bought a new Singer a few years ago. Mother passed away last February and since I was the only daughter interested, I inherited her Bernina! Wow, what a difference! Its a dream to sew on! I've made a couple bed quilts, queen for our camp, and king for home, but I want to change one, so I just started a new one. This has inspired me to get back to it, and maybe try the free hand quilting when the time comes. So thanks ladies!

Some beautiful work I see here. My mother was a huge quilter! Of 4 daughters, I was the only one that even wanted to learn, so she taught me little by little over about 20 years. I started with a cheap Montgomery Ward machine, then bought a new Singer a few years ago. Mother passed away last February and since I was the only daughter interested, I inherited her Bernina! Wow, what a difference! Its a dream to sew on! I've made a couple bed quilts, queen for our camp, and king for home, but I want to change one, so I just started a new one. This has inspired me to get back to it, and maybe try the free hand quilting when the time comes. So thanks ladies!

Welcome to my thread! I tried something new with some random fabric I had laying around, a test piece. It's a quilt blanket, the kind with flannel backing and no batting, a summer type blanket. You just put them face to face, stitch around, leaving a space to turn it right-side out then you stitch around a couple times. Super easy for baby receiving blankets and loveys. I may make a few smaller ones that look better since it was super easy to do and feels really soft. I can see a toddler dragging one around and snuggling with it.

@WVduckchick

I think Bernina is the brand most small quilting stores used to use for classes and sold as the "cadillac machine for quilting". Never sewed with one, but would love to.

We have no small business quilting shops around here anymore, fell to competition of the chain stores. Really sad, they were always so helpful with better fabric selections and ideas for projects.

My mom was a sewer also. She never really quilted, but she made us some kick-***** bell bottom pants. I remember that we each got to pick the fabric we wanted. I got a fabric with a burgundy base with huge concentric circles of various colors - very 60's fabric. We thought we were something wearing our bell bottoms. There were 5 of us girls, and she taught us to create and sew our own Barbie doll clothes. We had the best dressed Barbie's on the block. Unfortunately, she died when I was 11 and most of my sewing skills I had to develop by myself. But she did plant the seed for anything creative.

I was talking to a lady at the Walmart yesterday. She is starting to think about retirement - eligible in two years. She already has a sewing room set-up, has been stashing fabric for about 20 years and has 4 sewing machines, 3 have never been out of their boxes. I told her that I had 8 large boxes of fabric that I packed and moved from Wyoming, she called me an amateur.
lau.gif

She used to work at Hancock fabrics before Walmart so she has a Bernina, a Serger, and an embroidery machine, all that she bought at cost before leaving there. The only machine she has used is her original basic sewing machine. She plans on making quilts and matching accessories as a hobby and selling as a side income. She has the patterns for all things household - appliance covers, hot pads, dish scrubbies, tea cozies, table runners, bath accessories, tissue box covers and what have you. She hears young women at the craft sales saying they would like a set of matching things for their houses, but don't want/know how to make them themselves. Her plan is to make and sell "sets" of matching accessories for setting up a house, so all the stuff would go together throughout the house. The kicker is that she has never really sewed, she has never completed a quilt top or anything. I wished her luck on her endeavor.

My mom was a sewer also. She never really quilted, but she made us some kick-***** bell bottom pants. I remember that we each got to pick the fabric we wanted. I got a fabric with a burgundy base with huge concentric circles of various colors - very 60's fabric. We thought we were something wearing our bell bottoms. There were 5 of us girls, and she taught us to create and sew our own Barbie doll clothes. We had the best dressed Barbie's on the block. Unfortunately, she died when I was 11 and most of my sewing skills I had to develop by myself. But she did plant the seed for anything creative.

Ha! that's funny. I remember Mom making bell-bottoms too. I had this awful lime green/yellow patchwork pair! And I also remember making Barbie clothes!! My Mom didn't do alot of clothing, although she did make my first wedding dress! Mercy, it was amazing. And a little clothing here and there, but beautiful "art work" wall-hanging quilts were her favorite.

@WVduckchick

I think Bernina is the brand most small quilting stores used to use for classes and sold as the "cadillac machine for quilting". Never sewed with one, but would love to.

We have no small business quilting shops around here anymore, fell to competition of the chain stores. Really sad, they were always so helpful with better fabric selections and ideas for projects.

Same here with many of the small shops. There are a few left, but most can't compete and survive. Sad.
Yes, that Bernina is definitely a cadillac! She paid quite a bit for it, but after she retired, she quilted many hours each day, so I said "why not have the one you want and the best that you can afford!" and encouraged her to buy it. That was her one big hobby, and many of us spend alot of money on hobbies, so I think its all relative. It was something she loved to do. I miss being able to call her for advice when I mess something up!

Here's a sample of one that is hanging in my office at this moment, she made it, not me..

That is a beautiful wall hanging. I love the colors in it.

I pieced this baby blanket today from 8" blocks I had already done. The frog flannel will go on back-it was part of the mistaken order that Thousands of Bolts sent me a few years ago and told me to keep. Seems perfect for a spring baby blanket with birds and flowers on the front. Of course, I'll machine quilt it with the lavender Gutermann cotton thread I bought a week ago. I love that thread; may be my imagination but my machine seems to like it, too.

It's together, just not stitched around the front yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom