Can't Machine Quilt...Why Does Machine Skip?

I dug my first machine out of the basement after, oh, maybe 20 years. I literally have only seen the outside of the case in all that time and I never learned to use it, either. My DH used it to sew the stripes on his Air Force uniforms. It is really dirty, super heavy but wow, the throat on it is a full 1.5" larger than the computerized Brother I'm currently using!
Brother's throat space about 5.5"
Kenmore's throat space a full 7"

I probably should have it serviced at the very least, but can this be quilted on? I don't have a foot for that on this one, didn't buy it for that- I think I got it pre-quilting days, early 80's.

If it is running well, you definitely could quilt on that one. I quilted on my grandma's old singer for a year before DH got me my Wal-Mart special, a basic Brother machine. Right now, I have a Kenmore with all the different stitches and a mid-arm Juki that I haven't used much yet.

I won't turn it on until we clean this poor thing out. It's full of dust and dirt from being in this basement for almost 13 years. I don't even have any oil for it and I'm sure it needs it. I could possibly trade it in on another one with a larger throat than my Brother at a sewing machine center or just sell it outright if someone would pick it up here-this thing is HEAVY as heck! I see they are still selling it on Ebay for between $50 and $100, depending on the condition. I may just clean it up, see that it sews okay and sell it on one of the local FB yard sale sites then look for a different one. We'll see once I get into cleaning it up.

Cleaned it out, bulb even still works. We figured we bought it in the very late 70's, before I even started quilting, and it has been used maybe 20 times, has all original parts with it, plus a clip-lock case I bought separately. I'm going to sell it because you cannot drop the feed dogs on it. Has a little darning plate, but that won't work for free motiong because it makes a ridge all the way around in a rectangle. I put it in the online yard sale locally for $45, including case. We even sewed with it. No problems.

Check out the price sticker on that pack of needles.

@speckledhen

I think the problem with the vintage machines is thread tension. I still have a cabinet model singer from my mother in law, it works, but I am too spoiled with all automatic scissors, needle threader and of most importance….automatic tension.

Same reason I gave away my first serger…spent more time threading and setting the tensions than using.

Good luck with the sale.

Maybe I will get motivated to get rid of the older machine I have and use the space.

*** but the vintage stuff really was made to last.

Two people already are in line to take it so as soon as the snow is not as big of a problem, I should have it sold. If I can see light at the end of the tunnel with this free motion stuff, I have my eye on this one. Throat space is huge, extension table is huge, not super computerized to break down that way, a good one. New on Amazon, $649, refurbished at Ken's Sewing Center in AL, $599, not a huge difference there.

Up to 1,500 stitches per minute

High speed straight stitch.

Heavy duty construction for sewing, quilting and crafting

Increased stability at high speeds.

Automatic thread cutter

Automatically cut the upper and lower thread.

Brother exclusive pin-feed mechanism

Moves several layers of fabrics simultaneously for sewing accuracy.

On-board fabric separator tool

Easily sew seams in contrasting fabrics without puckering.

Knee lifter for quilting

Ability to lift presser foot with knee frees your hands to turn your projects

4 color-coded levels of feed dog adjustment and presser foot pressure

For visible and maximum fabric control.

Extension table with bobbin case opening

Helps you manage those large projects. Easy access point eliminates the need to remove table to replace oversized metal bobbin.

Dual thread stand

Keep 2 thread spools ready with on-board thread stand; use thread spool extender for quick and consistent threading.

The throat is almost 9 inches long and 6 inches high! That will handle any quilt. And this one seems to be geared completely to free motion quilting. I love my little Brother CS6000i for piecing or its little decorative stitches for putting on labels but for a quilt larger than a crib quilt, I really would do better with something like the one I posted. It's semi-industrial w/o the price tag.

Two people already are in line to take it so as soon as the snow is not as big of a problem, I should have it sold. If I can see light at the end of the tunnel with this free motion stuff, I have my eye on this one. Throat space is huge, extension table is huge, not super computerized to break down that way, a good one. New on Amazon, $649, refurbished at Ken's Sewing Center in AL, $599, not a huge difference there.

Up to 1,500 stitches per minute

High speed straight stitch.

Heavy duty construction for sewing, quilting and crafting

Increased stability at high speeds.

Automatic thread cutter

Automatically cut the upper and lower thread.

Brother exclusive pin-feed mechanism

Moves several layers of fabrics simultaneously for sewing accuracy.

On-board fabric separator tool

Easily sew seams in contrasting fabrics without puckering.

Knee lifter for quilting

Ability to lift presser foot with knee frees your hands to turn your projects

4 color-coded levels of feed dog adjustment and presser foot pressure

For visible and maximum fabric control.

Extension table with bobbin case opening

Helps you manage those large projects. Easy access point eliminates the need to remove table to replace oversized metal bobbin.

Dual thread stand

Keep 2 thread spools ready with on-board thread stand; use thread spool extender for quick and consistent threading.
Wow, sounds like the perfect quilter!
jumpy.gif
Hope you can get one.

Been working on a big hand quilting project, finishing an elderly lady's hand quilted king size, but after working on that for hours today, took a break to machine quilt this table topper of my goober of a rooster, Deacon. Still not the best at it, but getting better. Was finished in a flash. I can imagine how much easier it would be with a larger throat on the machine.

Back
Top Bottom