Caponized roo personality

Pics
I don’t know the answer as I’ve never tried it before, but I do want to say, please don’t caponize a cockerel / rooster... there are a lot of after effects (number one being death) that go into this. If you aren’t allowed roosters, I highly recommend not keeping one. Honestly, I’d try a 'no-crow collar' before I’d get a roo caponized...

I don’t know the answer as I’ve never tried it before, but I do want to say, please don’t caponize a cockerel / rooster... there are a lot of after effects (number one being death) that go into this. If you aren’t allowed roosters, I highly recommend not keeping one. Honestly, I’d try a 'no-crow collar' before I’d get a roo caponized...
Didn't know there was such a thing. I will check them out. If I do get any caponized it would be at an avian veterinarian. None of that home done stuff with no anesthetic. Cruel is not my way.

Didn't know there was such a thing. I will check them out. If I do get any caponized it would be at an avian veterinarian. None of that home done stuff with no anesthetic. Cruel is not my way.
Well even if an avian vet were to perform the surgery, death is going to, most likely, be the outcome. If your kids are really attached to your boy, please try a no-crow collar first, and even then it isn’t guaranteed to work.

Agreed even if the surgery is done by a vet the outcome is most likely death.

No crow collars are in my opinion a no they prevent the rooster airway enough that it prevents a loud crow. Yes the volume is lessened but theres also a big chance of them being strangled or getting to hot. You have to be very careful when first using them and training the roo to get used to wearing it. Then again some people have great outcomes. It's worth a try I just dont believe in them.

Talk to your kids explain to them the situation. This could be a great lesson for them. Maybe tell them that if this rooster is given away you could get a hen to replace it.

Agreed even if the surgery is done by a vet the outcome is most likely death.

No crow collars are in my opinion a no they prevent the rooster airway enough that it prevents a loud crow. Yes the volume is lessened but theres also a big chance of them being strangled or getting to hot. You have to be very careful when first using them and training the roo to get used to wearing it. Then again some people have great outcomes. It's worth a try I just dont believe in them.

Talk to your kids explain to them the situation. This could be a great lesson for them. Maybe tell them that if this rooster is given away you could get a hen to replace it.
I explained the issue when we got the chicks. They understood. One of my daughters ended up with every chick being a roo. If pushed she would keep only Blueberry and give away Hedwig. She has already agreed to re-home Dragonic, and all four Polish roos. Blueberry is a very small self blue OE Bantam. I don't even think a collar would for him, but we will try it.

Attachments

• 20190516_191551.jpg
    20190516_191551.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 52
I will try the collars, but would still like to know if a caponized roo still crows or is more mellow. Now it's a curiosity thing.

Back
Top Bottom