Caponized roo personality

Pics
Anatomy! The testicles are right up near his aorta, so mistakes don't go well. And, general anesthesia is tricky in birds, especially for more than ten or fifteen minutes.
And, few are experienced in doing it any more, and that experience is gained by having disasters at first, and learning speed, without disaster.
Mary

Also, will castration prevent him from jumping on the hens? (I know this sounds like a stupid question but some stallions if gelded late will continue to jump on mares for years after)

Also, will castration prevent him from jumping on the hens? (I know this sounds like a stupid question but some stallions if gelded late will continue to jump on mares for years after)

None of my capons have ever shown an interest in the hens. Mine usually stay out of everyone’s way as they fall pretty low in the pecking order.

Well people have asked about caponizing 4 month old or even older cockerels who are already showing problem behaviors--would it be too late at that point?

Well people have asked about caponizing 4 month old or even older cockerels who are already showing problem behaviors--would it be too late at that point?

In older cockerels the testicles become large, soft and more attached to the surrounding tissues. It becomes increasingly difficult to take the testicles out through the incision intact. There is a greater chance of a slip. Even though the procedure can be successfully performed on older cockerels, the chance to improve the quality of meat is lost.

In older cockerels the testicles become large, soft and more attached to the surrounding tissues. It becomes increasingly difficult to take the testicles out through the incision intact. There is a greater chance of a slip. Even though the procedure can be successfully performed on older cockerels, the chance to improve the quality of meat is lost.
What's the ideal age to caponize.....6-8 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom