Caponizing

Well, my chicks are 4 wks now and had intended to dispatch one of the roos for an anatomy class, but the only 2 I can really say for sure are roos are the pure BJGs that I want to keep. The mixes are keeping it under wraps
hide.gif
for the moment. I guess after reading more, I don't feel too rushed. I don't want to do it too soon and end up with a bunch of splits. We should have a list of instruments some where and list the pros and cons of each as well as where some of the more technical ones can be obtained. Otherwise I'm going to have to go back and read this whole thing again and make notes as I go. Looks like those can be obtained on ebay, but I'd think we need to know exactly what they are called (again) This old brain is feeble
old.gif
, I am a visual learner
wink.png

I got my Caponizing set from Nasco. It has a spreader, a spoonlike tool that the other end is pointy pick, 1 disposable scalpel (which needs to be replaced already after 5 birds), a grabber (which is too big for putting in that small of a bird and still be able to see what the heck you are doing, and a cord for tying the legs and wings(which I cut in half and am clamping like Jeff said to try).
Check out Jeff's(naillikwj82) set-up for lay-out of tools. I am looking at alternatives for the extraction tool.
There are some videos on youtube as well on how to do it. This young man that came over the other night said he saw one where a guy from India does over 200 in an hour. I can't believe it, but it could be true. He must do the extraction with his fingernail. Not crazy about sticking my finger inside of the little guys though.
Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken castration.

Done with try #3.
First one, dead.
Second one, pullet.
Third one, done quick and he is doing great.
Fourth one, dead.
Fifth one, pullet (dang them!)
Sixth one, didn't cut, decided it was a pullet.
It is amazing how one week I am certain they are one sex and the next I am flopping to the other!

I have another batch to try next week, and probably bigger too. I would do them this weekend except we have a funeral out-of-state to go to.

I couldn't believe how fast that 3rd one went! I had the second side cut and the little bugger out in just a few minutes! I hope I quit nicking those arteries. I think it was just because the two I lost tonight were so mean and onery! I mean that. Both of them were biting me and jumping at me with their feet. I offed their father because he was getting more and more that way by the day. Well, it was either try caponizing them or putting them down. At least I tried.
Now if these others end up being males, I will caponize the darned things later.

I got some retractors to spread with. Not perfect, but they do work and they lock in place. I may see if I can modify them somehow. I think they may work just fine. Also, for grabbing stuff in there to move around or to just gently slide things like intestines out of the way, I have some slightly curved ended clamp-type things. They don't have sharp edges or corners and they work great at trying to get at the testicles without poking something that shouldn't be poked.

Well we know it's a learning process, like anything else. It is gonna take practice. I'm still waiting for my roos to reveal themselves. I want to keep 2 Black Giant roos for now but most of the rest are mixes and are rose combed so it is harder to tell. I think I'm going to try the straw and piano (or in my case guitar) wire for extraction. I have blunt end grabbers but am concerned about ending up with a bunch of splits.
Have a good Easter everyone

Last edited:
The hardest thing with getting the testicles out that I have had, I mean on a difficult in doing, not having to do with the artery knicks.... has been getting them out in one piece. I have broken more than one, and usually at least one per bird so far. They are stuck in there a lot harder than you think they would be. I need to get someone to help take pictures.
I did use the first one I lost to open up and get a better idea of what is inside there. It is interesting. Also, it is amazing how fast the body cavity will fill up and how quickly the blood will clot if you knick something.

Are you using a wire loopy grabby thing to remove the testies? That seems like it would be less likely to knick an artery?

It is not that easy to get around them. Just getting the loop around them, I am sure there is a possibility of causing damage. There is a lot of membrane surround the testes, so until you get through those membranes, you can grab them so easily, and the way to get through those is to cut them resulting in the possibility of nicking it. Other people must spread them open more than I do to be able to put something that large in that small of hole and still be able to see what they are doing.

It is not that easy to get around them. Just getting the loop around them, I am sure there is a possibility of causing damage. There is a lot of membrane surround the testes, so until you get through those membranes, you can grab them so easily, and the way to get through those is to cut them resulting in the possibility of nicking it. Other people must spread them open more than I do to be able to put something that large in that small of hole and still be able to see what they are doing.

Okay, I haven't done it yet, just been reading about it.

A tube from an old George Pilling set with a loop of approx. 27 ga. craft wire in lieu of the old-timey horsehair.

The testicles are very slippery and full of lipids. Getting them out is sort of like dealing with a component full of butter tied with a rather strong ligament to the rest of the chicken while you try to avoid the artery.

They're easy to find but heavily vascularized in older chickens. They're harder to find but much less vascularized in younger chicks.

Minnie - what age are these boys? I am looking into doing this but don't have the proper tools. Where did you find the retractors?

I couldn't believe how fast that 3rd one went! I had the second side cut and the little bugger out in just a few minutes! I hope I quit nicking those arteries. I think it was just because the two I lost tonight were so mean and onery! I mean that. Both of them were biting me and jumping at me with their feet. I offed their father because he was getting more and more that way by the day. Well, it was either try caponizing them or putting them down. At least I tried.
Now if these others end up being males, I will caponize the darned things later.

I got some retractors to spread with. Not perfect, but they do work and they lock in place. I may see if I can modify them somehow. I think they may work just fine. Also, for grabbing stuff in there to move around or to just gently slide things like intestines out of the way, I have some slightly curved ended clamp-type things. They don't have sharp edges or corners and they work great at trying to get at the testicles without poking something that shouldn't be poked.

Back
Top Bottom