Caponizing

uncle- Generally they should all easily be okay without food and water for 12 hours, UNLESS in direct sun, high heat, inducing dehydration. My other questions is still: How much did they wiegh? You need to have over one pound. Watch for pm
j

I did one little fella today but lost him shortly after. He was a RIR about 1 lb with a clearly sprouting comb.

I had him starved for ~28 hours in a location with intermittent sun and shade.

Rather than allow the other caponizer to make the incisions, I "got the balls" to do them.

Had no problem locating the organs up close to the backbone. Wasn't as difficult as when we first tried. Organs were about the size of a Rice Krispie.

The 1-lb cockerel was very low on blood after 28 h without food/water. Removed left and right and put him in recovery cage but he struggled and flapped. Around 2 min after operation found him bleeding heavily on left side (the first one I did). Lost him. I must have hit the nearby artery.

As "lessons learned," I think this guy was just a _bit_ on the small side. I think he would have recovered better at 1.5 lbs.

The organs get MARKEDLY bigger as the little roos approach crowing age. Don't let them start crowing....

After they crow their testes are very strongly vascularized and they are so big and so well-connected that they are difficult to remove through the incision. Also, large birds are difficult to hold in place.

The whole thing reminds me of Goldilocks.....not too little but not too big.......

All our others are really small ---- may be 2 weeks before next attempt.

I ordered the retractor off ebay, will take them off food and water when it gets here. Just my luck the oldest batch that were 8 wks the 21 there seems to only be 4 roos. I thought several of the rose combs were roos, but no wattles at all, so I guess I was wrong.

Are thhey maybe getting each other?? That would be very typical of chickens when there is a weaker chicken in the bunch, especially if they are confined in a smaller area.

That is what I kept thinking, but when they peck each other, they don't start with the vent unless there is an injury there or something prolapsed. So, I then realized it couldn't just be that happening. It had to be happening at night too since I would check things before dark and then find them dead in the morning. The rat makes sense. Of course, that pen has been a bunch of peckers, not to sound crass or naughty. I have had to pull a bunch out to spray with BlueKote. I have lost a couple from them pecking their top joint of their wings. In fact, I just had to put one down last night that got pecked bad there outside and I brought him in and treated him. The pen went at him last night and he was in such bad shape I put him down. It is insane how fast they can tear each other apart like that too.

Fine so far. I don't understand why it was just after that pen, there is one next to it that (knock on wood) has been fine. They a little bigger though, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Looks like Thursday or Friday might be a good surgery day for my fellows.

I am quite new to avian surgery, but my sources suggest more than 12 hours before surgery is excessive. For example, in a baby parrot that would be of comparable age to a young chicken, 6 hours seems to be plenty.

I am quite new to avian surgery, but my sources suggest more than 12 hours before surgery is excessive. For example, in a baby parrot that would be of comparable age to a young chicken, 6 hours seems to be plenty.

I would agree that taking water away more than 12 hours is not a good idea, they become lethargic, especially if they are small for attempting the surgery. Also, unless it is plenty warm enough, I think they get cold when they go through the fasting period.
I must say though, if you are comparing a parrot to a chicken, I think it is like apples and oranges. They are both birds, but I think a chicken is probably bigger and hardier than a caged parrot. I agree with Jeff that it is not the age, but the size you should consider when deciding when to caponize. I will also add that I think that the books written on caponizing were written, many of them or taken their information from, 80-100 years ago. Chickens today are not the same. A lot has changed in the way they are bred, many being large hatchery birds who have gone after the golden egg count, the qualities of the heritage breeds have been lost for a large part through those methods. The birds, I believe, were probably larger and more robust that many we see today - that is, unless you are getting them from breeders who are focusing on maintaining the integrity of the breed, then you may see them in the size more in line with the standard for the breed.
I have Minorcas, which are a smaller framed, lighter weight breed than say my Cornish or my Australorps, for those I have to add a couple of weeks to the recommended 4-5 weeks before I will even think about cutting into them, and then I pick them up and feel what they are feeling like before I start looking at a day to put them on the table.
Yes, I have only done a few, but every day I go through all of my birds and I look at them and evaluate. I have Minorcas who are 2-months old, which I know some would say they are getting big to do the procedure, but I have about 20 of them so far that are going to need to go and I don't want to put them down and go to waste, and I don't want to raise them to adolescence and have them fighting in the pasture and beating up the hens in the process. So, if they need to be 2-months old to get the deed done, then so be it.
That is my soap box for the day.

I completely understand the fasting from food prior to the event, cleaning out the alimentary system making it easier to see the testes. But I don't understand why you would take the water away, it seems to me going into a surgery even a little dehydrated can't be a good thing???

I would agree that taking water away more than 12 hours is not a good idea, they become lethargic, especially if they are small for attempting the surgery. Also, unless it is plenty warm enough, I think they get cold when they go through the fasting period.
I must say though, if you are comparing a parrot to a chicken, I think it is like apples and oranges. They are both birds, but I think a chicken is probably bigger and hardier than a caged parrot.

The reason behind doing the short fast is still the same, regardless of species (including mammals).

Back
Top Bottom