Cardigan Welsh Corgi vs. Pembroke Welsh Corgi

Quote:
I thought tris look like a black dog with tan points, not a German Shepherd markings....black muzzle, tips of ears, saddleback......and sable colored body under neath all that black points.

Been thinking about getting Corgi's but I do not like high strung dogs like Shelties.

This is a tri-colored puppy (not mine):

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...ennel.com/images/Sara,-Oct-08-003-46B.jpg&t=1

This is a sable puppy (not mine):

http://secure.terrificpets.com/images/uploads/07296083244893_1.jpg

Well the Corgi that the neighbor has looks nothing like the tri color pup pictured, it is mostly sable, and it didn't have much white markings on it...like a sable and black GS on short legs and docked tail. They did have several litters and Mom told me they had sables and tris together so it may have been a tri factored male.

I don't know enough about them but if they are like Border collies, they will not suit for our needs since we live in the city, having chickens and a cat and a very laid back lifestyle which we do like to walk but not walk alot. However I love those cute faces and small stature comparing the Borzois my first choice of dogs, then Collies and then Corgis.

i would not compare a corgi to a border collie since they are 2 different breeds and herd different types of animals.

not all corgi are the same either. mine hardly barks, he has his moments of energy but will still chill out on the couch with me and my dh or just finds a close place to curl up and stare at you. when he wants to play he grabs a toy or his food bowl and will give it to you to throw or tug on (we have an open concept first floor and nothing breakable
tongue.png
) border collies are very intelligent but need more space than a corgi, they are also somewhat independent. corgi are intelligent too, but the do tend to be underfoot more often than a border collie. when not underfoot he is not far away from me. corgi seem fine in small homes if they can get outside to get exercise but i would recommend being with it and not chaining them up by themselves. people should get exercise too and what a good way to do it by bonding with the dog! i would not suggest them for small apartments though.

i would not recommend a corgi around young children or those kids that don't understand dogs since corgi can be nippy when overly excited. corgi are cattle herders and they would nip at the cow's heal/ankle to get them to move, the reason the corgi is so short legged and does a 'roll' to get out of the way of a kicking cow! my corgi has learned not to nip but will put his cold wet nose in the back of your knee or leg to get you to move where he wants you to be!

border collies are trained to herd by blocking or directing from a short distance and not touching the sheep. if a collie bit or nipped at sheep it is a BIG No-No and is not a trait that they would breed for if it has not been well trained out of them! i have a friend who breeds border collies and she was the one that taught me about this.

do be careful with a corgi around the chickens-like most dogs around small, squeaky sounding animals, they can still kill a chicken if they get the urge. mine so far likes to play rough with them when the birds run and he catches them by pinning their wings, he will lick them but i have yet to have one killed by him-i just don't want to test this. only one roo he will not chase or touch since the roo will not tolerate it! my cat took some time to adjust since she is very old and set in her ways, but now they curl up on the couch together. Ein will try to keep her from leaving the room if he wants her to stay in there, he will on occasion chase her but that is stopped by me giving him a command. i would not recommend giving a squeaky toy since the dog associates it with small animals that sound like they squeak-like the chickens or other birds.

Just a quick post....we LOVE our Corgi. She had a longggg puppy-hood, but is a great dog!

I, respectfully, disagree with the Cardi breeder's generalizations (above) of Pembrokes vs Cardis....there is a bit of rivalry between the breeds that could be entertaining if it weren't so tiresome.

Anyway, Cheers is a happy dog who never has a bad day, and never meets a stranger. Her goal each and every day is to figure out what we want....and how to do it. She definitely has a work-mode and a relax-mode...and not much in between....she's ready to go to work if you are! But no one knows how to relax like she does - usually on her back with legs going in every direction.

She has done what many have never done - she has trained the cats! When she can't find a person to to pet her, she gets the cats to do it! She loves to have them rub all over her...which they will do endlessly.

She enjoys going to the barn with me and tending to all the animals (horses, chickens, more cats, goat). She'd definitely like to herd the horses, but since they are all in their own seperate pastures, she is vexed by the dilema - pretty funny stuff! You can see the wheels turning as she tries to plan her herding strategy.

I use her "off switch" with the chickens. She would herd them endlessly if allowed to do so. I only have to say "leave-it" and she's off them. I don't leave her alone with the chickens - she would herd them into exhaustion. No question.

Here's the world's best dog (to our family, anyway!):
CheersinAutumnLeaves-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Subtract Cheers and add Lacey (our pem) and sound like we have the same dog!!! Especially the cat training and the herding chickens into exhaustion. Everything in it's place, right!

Ditto from me ... Kelly & Jen.

My Willow is my 'best buddy.' She comes from a long-time working breeder of Corgis. I've owned several of her dogs over the years and each one is better than the last (though oh, so special). I've known many Pems to live to 15-16 (my last one passed just short of her 15th birthday.. was never ill till the last 6 months).

The colors in Pems are red/white, sable, and tri (which can be red or blk headed). The white should not be over expressed on the body. All pems exhibit a 'saddle' effect .. this is for the fairies to ride.
wink.png

Ditto from me ... Kelly & Jen.

My Willow is my 'best buddy.' She comes from a long-time working breeder of Corgis. I've owned several of her dogs over the years and each one is better than the last (though oh, so special). I've known many Pems to live to 15-16 (my last one passed just short of her 15th birthday.. was never ill till the last 6 months).

The colors in Pems are red/white, sable, and tri (which can be red or blk headed). The white should not be over expressed on the body. All pems exhibit a 'saddle' effect .. this is for the fairies to ride.
wink.png

what about tan and white? AKC only allows 3 colors and tan and white is one so..... yeah, mine is red and white with black markings

I had a Pembroke. Very very smart dog. Was great around small animals, just needed some training and supervision as she grew up, then she understood. She knew not to nip at heels but would still try to herd if she had not had enough mental stimulation for a few days. May be high strung for some but she was pretty chill to me, and I'm used to a lot of dogs. Was raised around tons of human kids too, never a problem. One of the best dogs but I always felt her short legs frustrated her in our athletic activities with the other dogs. As I prefered to walk places or ride my bike, she was allowed to follow me a few blocks but never cross a busy road. I only told her once to never cross it, and she would go straight home without stopping and be there to meet me on schedule every single day, of her own doing. She seemed to very thoroughly know I wanted her to go straight home, as witnessed by many other people. It was a bit out of her regular self to do that.

i would not compare a corgi to a border collie since they are 2 different breeds and herd different types of animals.

not all corgi are the same either. mine hardly barks, he has his moments of energy but will still chill out on the couch with me and my dh or just finds a close place to curl up and stare at you. when he wants to play he grabs a toy or his food bowl and will give it to you to throw or tug on (we have an open concept first floor and nothing breakable
tongue.png
) border collies are very intelligent but need more space than a corgi, they are also somewhat independent. corgi are intelligent too, but the do tend to be underfoot more often than a border collie. when not underfoot he is not far away from me. corgi seem fine in small homes if they can get outside to get exercise but i would recommend being with it and not chaining them up by themselves. people should get exercise too and what a good way to do it by bonding with the dog! i would not suggest them for small apartments though.

i would not recommend a corgi around young children or those kids that don't understand dogs since corgi can be nippy when overly excited. corgi are cattle herders and they would nip at the cow's heal/ankle to get them to move, the reason the corgi is so short legged and does a 'roll' to get out of the way of a kicking cow! my corgi has learned not to nip but will put his cold wet nose in the back of your knee or leg to get you to move where he wants you to be!

border collies are trained to herd by blocking or directing from a short distance and not touching the sheep. if a collie bit or nipped at sheep it is a BIG No-No and is not a trait that they would breed for if it has not been well trained out of them! i have a friend who breeds border collies and she was the one that taught me about this.

do be careful with a corgi around the chickens-like most dogs around small, squeaky sounding animals, they can still kill a chicken if they get the urge. mine so far likes to play rough with them when the birds run and he catches them by pinning their wings, he will lick them but i have yet to have one killed by him-i just don't want to test this. only one roo he will not chase or touch since the roo will not tolerate it! my cat took some time to adjust since she is very old and set in her ways, but now they curl up on the couch together. Ein will try to keep her from leaving the room if he wants her to stay in there, he will on occasion chase her but that is stopped by me giving him a command. i would not recommend giving a squeaky toy since the dog associates it with small animals that sound like they squeak-like the chickens or other birds.

Where I am from a number of working Borders are encouraged and bred to give bite, for working on more aggressive livestock such as cattle. I know they are bred to mainly give eye/pressure, but even most Borders that can't back that up when needed are not considered as valuable. Trialing and real life are often different. The great thing about them is they seem to know when to settle down and when teeth are not needed, such as with ducks or softer animals.
I also have a Hangin Tree Cowdog. She is 3/8 Border Collie and some other working breeds. A very special working breed developed in the west, She gives a very good balance of eye and teeth where needed, and is not afraid to tackle animals from the front as well. A very good working breed and she gets along great with my free range poultry too! Just took some time and training, though she does need her working outlets and nothing makes her more happy than getting to work something!
Had a corgi when I lived in the city. She did fine, and was very well cared for, but I don't think my Hangin Tree would ever be happy in a city lifestyle. Just too much get up and do somthing kind of a dog.
Wish I would of have gotten a chance to really experience my Pembroke getting to herd though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom