Carport to Coop/Run Conversion

We ended up getting the sand they called DOT sand which is a washed sand. Looks like our Florida Beach sand. This is 4 yards of sand at $38/yard. I read on other posts where people paid $16/ton. Not sure how yards convert to tons. But I checked around and this was the best price available for us. Seems like it should be cheaper since we have so much sand in Florida!! We also put it down right over the dirt...no landscape fabric or wire. I'm hoping it doesn't get all mixed in with the dirt over time and the sand stays mostly on top...but we'll see. We plan to frame out the front of the carport & attach more hardware cloth this weekend. Stay tuned for more photos....

We're still making progress. Here's the latest. We put up siding on each side at the back of the coop.

Then I painted...

And we added plywood to the back wall...

Wow that is VERY WELL done!!!

You can fashion a poop scooper by putting hardware cloth over a traditional poop scooper you buy at the feed store (with a nice long handle) I have read.

I use a kitty litter scoop but that is such a large area you may need to fashion your own "kitty litter scoop."

Wear a mask when sifting sand. I just mention this in case you will be removing poo.

Last edited:
Last week we moved the chickens from the brooder to the coop.

I also made a larger feeder from a tutorial I found on here. It is working great!

And next I have to make a new watering system. Right now they are just using what we used in the brooder - poultry nipples screwed into the bottom of these small plastic jugs. I'm going to make something with a 5 gallon bucket and PVC pipe - another tutorial I found on here. Just love this site!!

And today I added our fancy schmancy poop hammocks - I'm thinking the black & white damask pattern will help conceal the droppings in between cleanings...we'll see. I used plastic tablecloth material, doubled it over & and sewed it so the plastic is on both sides. That way when I hose it down it should dry out better. I folded the ends and sewed a pocket for the rods that hold it. I used 1/2" pvc pipe for the rods, just because I had extra laying around. Then I used hook & eyes to attach it under the roost.

Plus I put up some wall décor. Next I will start working on the exterior landscaping around the coop.

Back
Top Bottom