Cat brought me a present! Any ideas on breed?

Agarrard

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
My kitty decided he was going to become a chicken snatcher! He brought me this little baby chick yesterday evening. My husband and I walked the neighborhood looking for its home. Unfortunately, all the farm properties said it wasn't theirs! So now we have a baby chick. I'm just curious as to what breed it could be. Any ideas? Thanks!

Unfortunately I could not say what breed it is,but what a funny story! I wish my pets would bring me chicks. LOL If you plan on keeping the little peep make sure you do have the necessities to take care of he/she.

So cute! Kind of hard to say what it might be at this age- can you post update pictures in a couple weeks?

Have you checked carefully for wounds? Especially under the wings- cats can sometimes get a claw or bite puncture in there, and cat wounds fester very easily. I used to do bird rehabilitation, and we always had to be super thorough about cat cases. I'm glad kitty brought it to you, but he may have scratched the little one while carrying it.

It happened in the evening after the feed stores were closed of course! But we did get a good set up for it the next morning. We are just in shock that we now have a chicken in our house and the cat could care less about it now!

I will post more pictures as the coloring changes! Seems as though it's day by day growth and changes. I saw the cat come over the fence with it and chased him down. Otherwise it could have been a different story. He was carrying it by the neck like a mother would carry a kitten. Boy oh boy does this little chick have a voice on it! I heard it coming before I saw it. I've checked it over multiple times and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I couldn't believe it made it out unscathed. Lucky little chicken! I've rescued a lot of different critters but never a chicken! This is a new one for me! It seems very strong and seems to be thriving in my temporary set up thank goodness. I'd love any tips you are willing to share!

Boy oh boy you can say that again! This little chick has quite a voice on it and will let you know when it needs anything! We find ourselves running to every little beck and call. I have a friend that just got new chicks so I think I will try and integrate it in with hers. She has all females for eggs so I wanted to know more before I toss this little chick in with the others. Meanwhile chicken and I have been spending a lot of quality time together. As long as it can see me and I'm no more than 3 ft away we have a content chick. For now, lol.

Well we headed to the store yesterday afternoon to pick out a buddy. We came home with 2 bantam silkies and 1 Rhode Island Red! What have I done!?! I'm such a sucker! Lol. Our lives are forever changed! I'm a proud mama and enjoy all my chicken snuggles. My husband is a trooper. Originally we planned to rehome them in about a month but it looks like plans have changed. My husband has grown quite fond of them as well. His words, " I guess we are chicken people now." The chick the cat drug in loves attention and likes to sit on my shoulder. The hubby just shakes his head and says ,"That's just not normal. That chicken doesn't know it's a chicken." Our garden is going to be amazing with all this poop too! I see a lot of fun in our future. I'm excited to be a member of backyard chickens as well!

The larger chick to the right in the group photos is the one I don't know the breed of. I showed the 1st pictures I had posted to the gal at the feed store and she thought maybe it is a golden sexlink. But I thought maybe it could be a red bantam? I'm only going off of google image searches. I'm also guessing female. I welcome ALL guesses! I'll keep posting as it changes. The head is a lighter yellow, wings and tail feathers are brown, but the color is darker on the back between the wings. It doesn't have any darker striping like I have seen in some breeds. Maybe it's just a mutt chicken?

Back
Top Bottom