Cat brought me a present! Any ideas on breed?

Agarrard

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
My kitty decided he was going to become a chicken snatcher! He brought me this little baby chick yesterday evening. My husband and I walked the neighborhood looking for its home. Unfortunately, all the farm properties said it wasn't theirs! So now we have a baby chick. I'm just curious as to what breed it could be. Any ideas? Thanks!

I will post more pictures as the coloring changes! Seems as though it's day by day growth and changes. I saw the cat come over the fence with it and chased him down. Otherwise it could have been a different story. He was carrying it by the neck like a mother would carry a kitten. Boy oh boy does this little chick have a voice on it! I heard it coming before I saw it. I've checked it over multiple times and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I couldn't believe it made it out unscathed. Lucky little chicken! I've rescued a lot of different critters but never a chicken! This is a new one for me! It seems very strong and seems to be thriving in my temporary set up thank goodness. I'd love any tips you are willing to share!

Love your story!  Nugget's red coloring is so very intense, no idea of his heritage but love his coloring.  FYI - Cockerels develop "hackle & saddle" feathering, aside from the red comb/wattle.  I was hoping that Nugget was a pullet, hopefully you'll be able to keep him?  How your other three coming along?  Good luck.

Nugget's feathering started coming in and I knew it was only time before we heard him crowing. He's been at that for just over a week now. So, we've been harboring him like a fugitive from the neighbors. He got a camo chicken diaper so he can coexist in the house. Weather has been too hot over the past month so he and his ladies have been in their makeshift spare bathroom barnyard. As for the buddies, the little RIR only made it two days after we got her home. The other two bantams we bought turned out to both be pullets thank goodness!!! One Sultan(Chicken Little), and one Polish(Big Bird). Nugget is starting to try and get fresh with Big Bird and likes to challenge me here and there. He's put the dog and cats in their place and they run when they see him coming. It's all part of the adventure! To be continued...

Nugget is a doll.  If it is a rooster maybe you can make it a house chicken.   Away from any girls  maybe it won't feel it needs to crow.  I'm so glad you didn't give him away and instead got him buddies.  Check out  "people with house chickens."  thread.

Well, it has happened. Meet Nugget, the camo diaper wearing Roo. Our house chicken. I thought the hubby would be against it, but he's fine with it. It's just so ridiculous that it's amusing to friends and family. He crows but we are dealing with it.

Have you tried a rooster collar? They say that they are fairly effective and could make life easier - check on Amazon - cheers!

I am definitely going to try it out! Fingers crossed it helps. He seems to crow during the day for attention. He usually follows me around during the day and can roam the downstairs of our house. If I go out of his sight or upstairs without him he will immediately start to crow until I appear again. Pretty sure he's just training me at this point because of course I come running.

Back
Top Bottom