Cedar Park, TX - Does Animal Control have a right to get involved and state that I'm violating the l

cedarparkcoop

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 12, 2012
I received a notice of violation today and had to call the animal control division of the police department for clarification on what law I've violated. My backyard is about 50 by 50 feet big. I've only got 3 hens. Will post more once they contact me back. Meanwhile, I'm stressed and upset because we might lose our chickens.

Sec. 2.05.002 Keeping of fowl

No person shall possess, harbor, or maintain any type of fowl in any area of the corporate limits of the city that is not zoned such as to permit the keeping of fowl (see
chapter 11 of this code). Where permitted, all fowl shall at all times be confined in a fully enclosed and ventilated or open-air cage, pen, coop, or enclosure and be provided adequate shelter from the elements and a minimum of three (3) square feet of covered floor space per animal sufficient to allow each animal room to move around and stand without crowding each other; however, where permitted on lots of one (1) acre or more, fowl may be kept or harbored free of such confinement, so long as the fowl remains on its owner’s lot. All cages, pens, coops, or enclosures and areas within which fowl are kept or harbored shall contain clean water and suitable food accessible to the fowl and placed such that the fowl cannot defile their contents, shall be at all times kept clean and sanitary in accordance with the health and sanitation laws of the state, shall not expose the animal(s) to undue heat or cold, and shall be a minimum of twenty-five (25) feet away from any property lines.

You need to know whether the zoning for your particular property lists chickens or fowl or poultry as an allowed use. If not, then you are in violation of the code as you listed it. If they are an allowed use, then you must keep them confined in an enclosure that meets the criteria specified.

Without knowing more about the citation, I can't really respond more thoroughly.

I received the same notice in CA, They have given me 45 days to remove the birds. I only had 11 birds, We are allowed 12. I have been writing letters to the Board of Supervisors in my county.
Ask for a variance or exemption. Go to Change.org and start a petition to change the ordinances.

It will take time. Fight back, Do what you can and then accept the results. Google Roswell, GA and the name Andrew Wordes to see how things can develop. he lost his life.

I contacted animal control today. The officer who gave me the notice was absent today and will be off tomorrow as well. I was a little more than upset because I thought I was in violation. Appears that the officer still needed to check with code efforcement to see if I'm in the right zone for keeping chickens.

I will call code enforcement myself and ask. I just didn't know who to call but after asking animal control about how they were going to verify, I now know.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I can't keep my chickens, I'll petition.

Wow that article on Wordes was crazy... I can't believe it went that far. But I'm feeling that my neighbors might try to poison my chickens...That's totally a possible. The one set of neighbors are truly psychopathic and I wouldn't put it pass them to do something like this. They've already been trying to hurt my chickens by throwing things at them.

I can only hope that my chickens are okay each day when I leave for work. I do let them roam in my backyard freely.

It is not difficult at all for me to believe this, though it's a shame it happened in America. Obviously Roswell is full of panty-waisted, derrière-kissing citizens, or it would never have gotten that far. As to neighbors-with-complexes, that could be handled. Might not be pretty, but anyone poisoning my chickens would regret it severely.

I am indeed thankful to live out in the country where hogwash like this is still "foreign" to us. RIP Andrew Wordes....

I was just curious how your situation with CP was going? I also have been reading about this and found it impossible to determine where exactly you CAN have chickens.
I live in CP also, and have read Chapter 11 and the word "fowl" does not even exist in the code.

* I just looked at it again and in Chapter 11, it uses the word "poultry", not "fowl" or "chickens" as previously defined by their own code.

Last edited:
I live in Cedar Park too and just got a notice from animal control as well. There is a chapter in the City Ordinance (11.02.035 under Zoning I believe) that states poultry are only allowed on lots of more than one acre. They only gave me a week to get rid of my hens. I plan on petitioning City Council for a change to that ordinance. Do you know if anyone else has tried it in the past?

Wow that article on Wordes was crazy... I can't believe it went that far. But I'm feeling that my neighbors might try to poison my chickens...That's totally a possible. The one set of neighbors are truly psychopathic and I wouldn't put it pass them to do something like this. They've already been trying to hurt my chickens by throwing things at them.

I can only hope that my chickens are okay each day when I leave for work. I do let them roam in my backyard freely.

If you are really that afraid the neighbors will do something, is it wise to let them free range? That may be part of why someone turned you in in the first place? An enclosed run, maybe something with a roof that will provide alot more privacy (out of sight out of mind), would protect your girls from neighbors and the city's eyes?

Have there been any new developments with the city?

Back
Top Bottom