Central Coast California

You are not going to pay hatchery prices from someone who is breeding quality chickens. They usualy cost more then 3 to get an egg and incubate
hmm.png

You are not going to pay hatchery prices from someone who is breeding quality chickens. They usualy cost more then 3 to get an egg and incubate
hmm.png
i know, i offered $5 per chick. thats a pretty good price if you ask me :/

We bought our chicks from Farm Supply in Paso in April 2012. We are really happy with them. We started with 15 chicks; 4 Buffs, 5 Australorps, 3 silver and 3 Golden Wyandottes. They ended up being all hens and started laying in September. We got an average of 12 eggs a day. They have slowed a little with winter, but are still averaging 9 eggs a day. They are all friendly and easy to handle. We would buy from them again.

Hi There!

Moving to Paso soon, and want to raise some chickens! I've never had chickens, unless you count the one I hatched in science class years ago
big_smile.png
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope to be moved in by the end of October. Recommendations on where to get my day old chicks? Thanks!

We moved to Paso about 2 1/2 years ago. We raised our hens from a day old. A couple of things to watch up here. It can get really hot in the summer 115 degrees, so you need lots of shade, but it can get cold in winter 16 degrees, so trees that lose their leaves are great winter sun and shade for summer over a coop. The wind can also be a problem, but it seems to blow from west or southwest. We also, depending where you're located watch for fox, coyote, and hawks. If you don't care about pedigree, we got our hens, Wyandottes, Australorps and Buffs from Farm Supply. They were all healthy and they are good layers, even being free ranged during the day. I know there are a few people in the area who raise chickens and plenty of FFA and 4H that maybe able to help you too. Good luck and please use BYC for your questions, they are a great help and someone can usually answer any question you might have.

Thanks Crabby Chickens! I appreciate the tips and will definitely check out Farm Supply! And BYC has already been a huge help, I'm certain I'll use it A LOT!!
We're always here if you need help, with coop and yard design etc. Farm Supply only has chicks from March to June. If you start in October you will probably need to find poulets or laying hens as our nights start to get cold and these older birds would do better through the fall/winter

Hi everyone! I just posted in the NorCal post but thought you may know, as well. I'm coming from Vacaville to San Diego through Gilroy and Gonzales and will be stopping at Metzer Farms. Somewhere between V-Vill and San Diego, I'm looking for a person/place that has turkey poults - Metzer has the wild Eastern type, but I'm looking for different heritage breeds. I still may get one or two there.

If you can help out with a recommendation, I would really appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom