Chain link dog kennel for chicken run enclosure ?

We used one with hardware cloth wrapped around the bottom edges to keep the coons from reaching through. It had a bigger chain link section to go over the top for better security and covered it with tarps when the weather turned inclement. Picked it up off of CraigsList for $50 last spring. But our flock got bigger, so we started letting them free-range it in our chain linked 1/4 acre section around the house. We now use this smaller chain link dog run for the baby chicks to practice scratching around outside in and to slowly introduce them to the rest of the flock.

IMG_20110917_144922.jpg

Its a dog kennel but its welded and not chain link. Absolutely no give when you push agents it and links will not spread.

When people use hardware cloth(etc) as an apron around the run or as flooring for a run - how long does it hold up before it rusts thru? I'm thinking if grass grows up thru it, you don't notice any rusted thru spots and have a false sense of security. You can probably tell I am quite a worry wart.

Quote:
If you have chickens in there, grass won't grow through.

LOL Kaitie, the apron goes on the outside.

mcostas, Looks a lot like one of mine. I wasn`t so concerned about critters reaching through the bottom wire, because the fowl could see them in the daytime and at night they are locked up. My concern is coons, fox, coyotes, etc. digging under the sides, so I used some old plastic latice in 2X8 ft sheets to slide under the side panels. I staked them down so they wouldn`t move. I live in the woods on a mountain side and have never had a problem........Pop

When people use hardware cloth(etc) as an apron around the run or as flooring for a run - how long does it hold up before it rusts thru? I'm thinking if grass grows up thru it, you don't notice any rusted thru spots and have a false sense of security. You can probably tell I am quite a worry wart.

We used galvanized bunny-hutch "screen" as a skirting under the coop, and then combined two of the 10' X 10' dog runs from Home Depot for the run. So far all we've done for the top of the run is put up plastic aviary netting, but in the spring we plan to add a plastic wavy-style roof. I was under the impression that if the wire is galvanized, it won't rust.​

These aren't the greatest pics, but they're what I have in photobucket right now...these are from last fall right before the snow fell. Our chain link panels are 6x10 so our entire winter run is 12x20x6 then we also put the same size panels pitched for the roof and we tarp and enclose it for winter. It keeps the snow out and gives them more space to roam in throughout the winter season.

DSC08138.jpg

DSC08137.jpg

I had that 2x4 type fence over my windows in my coop like yellowwirenuts run, and I had casualties and actually found the raccoon in my coop one morning. Only way he got in was to squeeze thru that stuff. Just sayin.

I use a 4x12 dog kennel as my coop and then I have attached another 20x20 kennel as a hen yard that only opens to the coop.. I have tarping as roof and side walls ( i just put up for winter) but I have it so that I can roll up the sides during warm days it works out great my husband doesn't like it but it works my chickens are happy and safe and Ive only got $20.00 in tarps as my cost.. so Im happy and maybe at tax time I can get a coop building.. but untill then we're content.

good luck
)O(
Pink

Back
Top Bottom