Chantecler Thread!

Quote:
I do get the odd one as well. I have even had some with 1 or 2 feathers half way down their shanks. Seem to get them less and less each year. I stay away from them as well. Just some of the breed heritage lurking in there and popping out. It doesn't concern me all that much, I just don't' use them for breeding.

Won't comment much on the white. Not a lot of experience there and I find they are slightly different in body type than the partridge. Many I have seen are more stream lined, towards better laying and less meat. May also be because they have a tighter feather, many partridge are just to fluffy! But I don't get a chance to see many whites either.

If she was partridge I would like her thicker in her body and a bit longer in her back. I wouldn't be opposed to the tail she has, but I am struggling to get enough tail, so a long one never hurts the program! lol
Good yellow legs, there doesn't seem to be any willow there, but I would like a stronger head on her. Remember just my opinion.

I'm looking for some Chanteclers in SW Ontario. How much should I expect to pay for them? I think I'm going to be limited to RTL birds.

Thanks

There is a lady in Michigan that has eggs to ship. I am not sure of her prices. She goes by "ChicwannaB" on this site. You might send her a message to ask about her birds.

Last edited:
candy442, for shipping from USA to canada.. it is rather hard and expensive. lots of people have chantecler here in ontario not sure why you would pay extra for outside birds (unless you were looking for one rooster to liven your stock up)

candy442, for shipping from USA to canada.. it is rather hard and expensive. lots of people have chantecler here in ontario not sure why you would pay extra for outside birds (unless you were looking for one rooster to liven your stock up)

well we are right next door to SW Ontario here in Michigan ....that is why I suggested that to the post. I have one Chantecler pullet and already have the best source of a rooster about 4 miles north of me. Glad to know the best are only a border away though
smile.png
so maybe Em Ty will locate some soon.

and is RTL = ready to lay?

Last edited:
well we are right next door to SW Ontario here in Michigan ....that is why I suggested that to the post. I have one Chantecler pullet and already have the best source of a rooster about 4 miles north of me. Glad to know the best are only a border away though
smile.png
so maybe Em Ty will locate some soon.

and is RTL = ready to lay?

the problem with that theory, is crossing the boarder with livestock. or even eggs.

There will be Chanteclers available for purchase at the Fowl Fest show in Birch Run, Michigan, this weekend. That would be October 12th and 13th. There is also a breeder that lives just a few miles from the show who may have some birds for sale, John Blehm. Greg Oakes of Ontario will be there showing, and he usually has birds for sale. Ditto for Bob Rennolet of South Dakota. I believe we have 82 Chants entered. The show will be held in the Birch Run Expo Center which is just off the Interstate highway that runs N/S past Birch Run. It is the 2013 National Meet of Chantecler Fanciers International, and there is usually a huge flea market in the same building, different section. I'll be there and accepting memberships in CFI. Dues are only $10 per year. We issue four newsletters per year that include color photos, we sponsor awards at approved CFI Meets, and issue a Breeders Directory which is updated once per year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom