Chantecler Thread!

The partridge Welsummer is supposed to be auto sexing at hatching. Does the partridge chantecler hold the same trait? Does anyone have experience exploring this with the partridge chantecler?
Thanks

The partridge Welsummer is supposed to be auto sexing at hatching. Does the partridge chantecler hold the same trait? Does anyone have experience exploring this with the partridge chantecler?
Thanks
Not the same partridge. The Chantecler has concentric pencilling, and thus different genetics at play. So, the same sexing rules do not apply to the Partridge Chantecler. I have done some tests, and did find the male chicks usually are lighter then the females. But, this isn't always true.

Took some photos while I was out taking shots of the coop and pens. I think it is nice to see what others are up to and be able to compare to what you are working on.
I am happy with what I kept this year, but man I do have a variety. I am chasing the elusive 'perfect' bird so have kept a variety that I hatched this year to have a selection to play with. Really happy with the growth on most of them! They are some beefy chicks! lol
I have kept a couple similar to this one. The ground colour is to light. The size and the pencilling are good enough not to ignore at the stage I am at with them so she stayed. This one has thicker lacing than the other and maybe not as good a back and tail. The other has a good back and tail but is not as big but has finer, more defined pencilling.
I have to say the contrast of the light (dead oak leaf) ground colour with the pencilling is amazing! These two really stand out in the pen. Not sure if I will use either of them, they may just go in the layer pen.

This pullet has better ground colour and probably a little better shape than that first bird. Maybe not as good sized as the first one though. Her pencilling is finer, but she is showing a bit of shafting. I have to say I am pretty happy with all the heads on the pullets this year. The new cockerel did well to help with that I think.

I am quite excited about this pullet. She is probably the closest to what I am looking for. She is quite a bit younger than the others, so a bit timid and picked on. She may carry her tail a bit to low but it is difficult to really tell that with how low she is in the pecking order. Her back is a nice length and she doesn't have the cushion that you see in some PChants. I have worked hard to try and remove that 'cushion' from my line. Still see it a little once in a while.
Her ground colour is decent, pencilling is good, but maybe a little thicker than ideal, and is still coming in. She may need more 'front' on her but I am happy to let her mature. It is difficult as she is a youngster and I am seeing all the thick, beefy girls beside her. Good head, decent comb, I am looking forward to seeing what she looks like in her 2 year old year.

They are all showing a bit more 'fluff' than I think is ideal, but just another thing to work on! lol
Hope you enjoyed the photos and my ramblings. Just thought I would show you where I am up to in the breeding program. I think I am going to have to break one of my breeding rules this year and use some of the pullets. I really do like the hens to be a year old so I know they have good vitality and lay well. Just a compromise you have to make sometimes I suppose.

Thought I would add this. Poor thing, one of my good matriarch hens not looking her best! lol She had better hurry up and regrow those feathers, winter is fast approaching here!!!

Here is the pullet judged BV (best of variety) at the recent CFI National Meet in Michigan. Note the darker ground color.
Click on the photo for an enlarged version to see detail better.

Last edited:

And here is the Best of Breed Chantecler at the CFI National Meet for 2013. A cockerel, he was also judged
best large fowl chicken of the show. Bred by Gina Neta, raised and exhibited by Mike Gilbert, both of Wisconsin.

Back
Top Bottom