Chantecler Thread!

I haven't read all 109 pages so pardon if these questions have already been answered.
Couple questions:
1. Am I too far south for this type of bird. I live in NE missouri.
2. I am thinking of getting some birds to breed, who can I contact?

I have sent birds to Missouri and to Nevada this year. When it gets really hot and humid, I have found that fertility drops off as well as egg production. They do not fare terribly well in that type of condition, so if you are aware of that, you can probably do just fine with them. Although I breed to standard, my main purpose in owning Chanteclers is for their dual-purpose use as homestead birds, and they do very well for me in that category. The excess roosters develop a great meat carcass, and if you wait until they are 4 to 6 months to butcher, they are extremely flavorful fryers.

There are a number of good breeders out there who do not belong to CFI, so don't think that is the only avenue for finding people, even though that is a good source for show birds.

Mine are from Denise at Black horse farm, and I am in Central MO and they great so far. I will have some chicks in the spring if you want some. My whites thanks to Denise are great looking birds large and correctly built. I am keeping them for a hobby and trying to breed them to SOP but I am not going to be a big time breeder. I just think they are great birds and deserve to be saved as a breed. You will love them.

i am getting chantecler this spring, ive been leaning towards partridge.

curious who has to say what about which? i was told the white are much more resistant to the cold? is this true?

and any other factors i should look at?

I was told the white are much more resistant to the cold? is this true?

and any other factors i should look at?

I don't know why anyone would say that. My partridge were some of my best layers last January and February in an unheated, uninsulated Wisconsin coop. I suppose there are different strains that perform at different levels. I do think most whites will start laying earlier and mature faster. I suspect that is because their creator added more Leghorn blood to them after they were recognized. Many whites have way too much tail, and that could be attributable to the added Leghorn blood as well. What it boils down to is your personal preferences and goals for your flock. I also raise the buffs, and they are really good performing birds, but they are not recognized yet by the APA in that color. It is one of the stated goals of CFI to sponsor their recognition within a few years. It is a pretty major project, but very doable.

I don't know why anyone would say that. My partridge were some of my best layers last January and February in an unheated, uninsulated Wisconsin coop. I suppose there are different strains that perform at different levels. I do think most whites will start laying earlier and mature faster. I suspect that is because their creator added more Leghorn blood to them after they were recognized. Many whites have way too much tail, and that could be attributable to the added Leghorn blood as well. What it boils down to is your personal preferences and goals for your flock. I also raise the buffs, and they are really good performing birds, but they are not recognized yet by the APA in that color. It is one of the stated goals of CFI to sponsor their recognition within a few years. It is a pretty major project, but very doable.
their statement was that the white were far better at dealing with the cold. not produce eggs or grow in cold periods.

do you leave your birds able to go outside all winter?

their statement was that the white were far better at dealing with the cold. not produce eggs or grow in cold periods.

I could, but why would I want to? Do you know what Wisconsin winters can be like? I doubt very much Brother Chatelain turned his out in Quebec in the 19-teens either. He was interested in production and keeping records. Better check around for others' experiences with them.

Our whites tolerated the cold just as well as the Partridges. Our Whites where better egg producers, but it seemed like they had an extra dose of Leghorn blood. (Our whites looked like cushion combed leghorns, and they matured around 4 pounds.) I expect there would be different results, depending on the strain.

We leave our birds outside year round, but they do have a roof on their run. So they aren't expected to walk in/on the snow. We live in PA, so I expect our temperatures would be very different then in Wisconsin or Canada.

Last edited:
well our run would also include access to the insulated coop.

and the run is also covered by pine trees and a trellis on the windy side to stop most of the snow. would you both guess this would be suitable? for either or?

i really like the coloured birds but if the white are more likely do fare under the cold temperatures, i will take the white.

and i am from quebec, ive lived in both it's coldest areas and am glad im over "here" now in the warmer areas... however, in many places in northern quebec, your altitude is higher and you are in fact warmer.. you may have 10 feet of snow+++ but you're much warmer in the days.

and i am from quebec, ive lived in both it's coldest areas and am glad im over "here" now in the warmer areas... however, in many places in northern quebec, your altitude is higher and you are in fact warmer.. you may have 10 feet of snow+++ but you're much warmer in the days.

Being from Quebec, the Whites should be an easy choice for you. They were created right there in your province in the early part of the 20th century. Have you read their history? There is a French speaking organization in Quebec that has as its purpose the preservation and protection of the White Chantecler. Can't tell you a whole lot more about it, but I'm sure there are those here who can.

Back
Top Bottom