Chantecler Thread!

So when I got these birds over the summer I used to put out a wide shallow tray of water, which they liked drinking out of, but also liked walking through and pooping in, etc.

When winter came, I removed it, because I didn't want them to lose any toes.

Anyway it was a nice sunny day here, above freezing, so I thought I'd try putting out the tray of water and see if they could figure it out.

They didn't walk into it at all! They just politely drank water out of it. I was pretty impressed.

Unlike two of our Chantie roosters, who insisted on holding on to the edge of the black rubber water dish, and lost toes. Both died due to complications of this behavior. One may have learned from the other, but still not smart. And the only two birds we've ever had who did this!
Now there's no open water dish at the coop in freezing weather. I'm 'gun shy' about this.
Mary

Heel low:

Been a good year this one for blues.

Brahma Dec 31 2023 IMGP7189.jpg

Standard Brahmas in Splash.

Dec 31 2023 IMGP7354.jpg

Standard Brahmas in Lemon.

Jan 04 2024 IMGP9027.jpg

Standard Brahmas in Blue Partridge.

Not overwhelmed in a mental state of depression, but simly enjoying the attributes of blue dilution. :p

Dec 31 2023 IMGP7708.jpg

Likely give putting BLR in the Chants as these four pullets seem pretty consistent in colour pattern expression...already have a bunch that look promising as half BLR Wy with Chant. We don't exhibit, so being that any breed may be any variety...I find White boring and unchallenging. These birds will get to run round the yard looking good and supply us with cackleberries being entertainment for the eyes.

Dec 31 2023 IMGP7069.jpg

Pleasing thing about a composite breed like the Chanteclers, yer not truly going way outside the breed like yer adding feathered legs or completely off combs like singles when you breed back into the foundation breeds used originally to make them. LOL

Dec 31 2023 IMGP7186.jpg

Self-white covers up basically most things so having the BLR pattern under the white line won't be any more severe than having partridge under the whites...or even buff.

Jan 04 2024 IMGP8650.jpg

Still messing with the bantam Partridge line from the pure line of whites we have. This bunch consists of two trios and will continue to challenge the ability to mark them pencilled...but it'll happen. Pleased with the eb/eb base (grey down screams success) and rich mahogany ground; tis a good foundation. Get the diamonds going with a homozygous dose of Pg and keep making more to select from.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada
--
____(\ Tara Lee Higgins /)____
(_____~> Rat Ranch - An ACD is for LIFE <~_____)
( `` `` ranchrat at telusplanet.net `` `` )
\ Alberta Canada /
) http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ranchrat/index.html (

Back
Top Bottom