Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Stacykins - how old are the chicks when you put on zip ties? As they grow, are they easy to cut off and replace with a larger zip tie, or do you use the same size and just make it looser when you put a new one on?

What zip locks do you use? The ones from Walmart?

Quote:
I started when they were young, a week old. I check every few days and replace when needed. I use I have used the same packet of zip ties, I just loop a new one around the leg and adjust it 'til it is loose, but not loose enough to A: fall off the foot B: get caught around their 'knee' joint. It has plenty of wiggle room and isn't tight at all. I got mine from Menards, just a standard zip tie with florescent colors. To cut them off, I use medical scissors , so there is no chance of hurting the chick on removal.

I guess I find the ties convenient since you don't have to buy packets of different sized leg bands, you just adjust to what you need.

The girls are finally past the awkward ugly stage, so I finally got some decent photos to share. They are a little past 3-months-old.
Franny and/or Emma (they look the same)
23433_franny.jpg

23433_franny2.jpg

Cleo-Cleo is much lighter in color then her two sisters Franny and Emma?
23433_cleo2.jpg

Critical comments are welcomed.

Quote:
I started when they were young, a week old. I check every few days and replace when needed. I use I have used the same packet of zip ties, I just loop a new one around the leg and adjust it 'til it is loose, but not loose enough to A: fall off the foot B: get caught around their 'knee' joint. It has plenty of wiggle room and isn't tight at all. I got mine from Menards, just a standard zip tie with florescent colors. To cut them off, I use medical scissors , so there is no chance of hurting the chick on removal.

I guess I find the ties convenient since you don't have to buy packets of different sized leg bands, you just adjust to what you need.

I used to use zip ties. As Stacykins said you do have to keep checking and replacing, leaving them on if they are too small can injure your chicken. None of my chickens suffered from to small of zip ties, but I didn't like the risk. I now use and prefer the numbered plastic snapons (not the palastic spirals). You may have to get several different sizes, but in the long run it is more affordable as you can keep reusing them.

Quote:
Very nice...I have my partridge babies in their new pen and they are growing like weeds....when do the partridge boys start to develop their male plumage?

Quote:
Very nice...I have my partridge babies in their new pen and they are growing like weeds....when do the partridge boys start to develop their male plumage?

Thanks.
As soon as their feathers come in you can tell their genders. If I remember correctly the girls grew into this current color about a month and a half ago. The boys keep changing color as they age. There are some good posts at the very start of this thread by chickenbike.

Back
Top Bottom