Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Thanks for the info...we will work on our flock to produce some 4H birds next year...looks like they need to be about 16 weeks min in age....we really like their dispositions very friendly so now i just need to figure out which rooster would be the best one to keep for breeding...

Does anyone need a rooster? I have 2- 3 month old Canadian partridge Chanticlers, I got the eggs from a friend that lives in Canada. I just hate to send them to freezer camp. I live in Orange county NY, near the Ulster county line. I can meet or you can come pick up but I dont ship the fowl. Asking $10.00 each. thanks

now that my partridge chanties are getting older, i'm fairly certain i have a trio, but i notice that the hens seam to have 2 different looks to them, the one is more dark brown the other golden red (not like the roo is though), any thoughts on that? they are all from the same batch of hatching eggs, from the same breeder who has only 1 pen

Quote:
Got any pics? It's not uncommon to hatch varying "shades" with the partridge. A lot of breeders will cull the lighter colored birds unless they don't have any better birds to work with. You want the darkest ones for your breeding pen, but don't sacrifice the lacing for it. A lot of the partridge Chantecler that I've seen are still in need of work in the lacing dept.
wink.png
It just comes down to what you have them for and what you intend to do with them.
thumbsup.gif

I am consistently getting three eggs a day from my buff hen pen. They are on the small side for now, but sure are tasty. And I must say, they are pretty friendly birds. I just had surgery on my other foot so I am not getting around too much, or would be out there all the time with the new girls.

I started getting some Buff chantie eggs over the past couple of weeks and I must say they are pretty good sized medium brown colored eggs. I need to get a scale and weigh them. I also must say the egg size has increased over the last couple of weeks.
What size eggs is everyone getting from their chanteclers????

Last edited:
If anyone is close to the Michigan thumb and needs one, I have a REALLY nice buff cockerel available. My rooster (his father) is directly from Bob Rennolet and my hens are from Mike Gilbert. If I was "into" showing, I wouldn't hesitate to take this boy to a show.
thumbsup.gif
He's around 18 weeks old...pics available on request.
big_smile.png

hmmmmm, My Chante's are 19 weeks now. oh boy, eggs soon????
I have at least 2 buff roosters I'd like to rehome, don't want to kill them, they are such beautiful and sweet birds. Well, not cuddly, but very nice.
I'll drive up to 50 miles to rehome them. Anyone interested????

Back
Top Bottom