Chantecler

Buckeyes and Chanteclers are the two (north american, anyhow) breeds developed specifically for frostbite-resistance and vigor in the cold.

I have three (formerly four, et one, he was *unusually* tasty) Buff Chanteclers. They are very nice birds, I like them a lot personality-wise. However the pullets did not start laying till 8 1/2 months of age. This is probably unusual for the breed, but, still. They are for sale if anyone in Canada is interested (I want to switch to something smaller-bodied, as I already have the SS filling the 'good-sized birds' niche).

Pat

I would also like to know about this breed
smile.png

HI All

CHanteclers were developped in Quebec by Brother Wilfred, in the early 1900s. He wanted a winter hardy dual purpose bird.

They have cushion combs and very small wattes so are very resistant to the cold.

They are very good winter layers - mine are laying like crazy!
love.gif
-they are such good girls.

They do become broody - I have one girl that I have to pry off the nest every time I go to the coop- it's only february- way too early girls
roll.png

They love to forage, when the snow if gone but do like to go out in the snow to check out the scene.

They are friendly and mild tempered. I have three roos in wth my girls and they do not fight.

There are 2 recognized colours -white and partridge (yes the partridge breeds true) BUff's are becoming quite popular.

The hardest thing with breeding Chantecler is getting the nice cushion comb. Sometime you will get pea combs which you don't want for breeding.

All in all they are great breed and I really like them
thumbsup.gif

Hope this helps
N:_)

Cushion comb is the combination of Rose and Pea comb types. You could introduce something with rose comb to fix that problem. Wyandotte was used in the development, right?

It may be better to just only breed the ones with cushion combs, as you may have problems breeding type back.

Back
Top Bottom