Chattanooga, TN (surrounding areas) CHICKEN LOVERS

Does anyone know if you have to trim all the 10 primary wing feathers(on one side)/ or can you just trim the first 4 or 5? Until the back fence line is more than barb wire, we are trying it to get the girls Not to go in to the woods. I've seen video on how to trim--just not if you have to follow the line completely--removing the 9 or 10 feathers.

Does anyone know if you have to trim all the 10 primary wing feathers(on one side)/ or can you just trim the first 4 or 5? Until the back fence line is more than barb wire, we are trying it to get the girls Not to go in to the woods. I've seen video on how to trim--just not if you have to follow the line completely--removing the 9 or 10 feathers.

There is much debate on to trim or not to trim. I have done it in the past to keep mine in their run. I found this link on here about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight I hope this helps.

Have you done it yet?
If not, you shold take some pics and post to show where and what feathers you cut. I would be very intererested to see.

i've thought about doing some of mine but have held off.

The reason we've thought about doing it is because I do freak out some what when they are out because if they decided to fly up/over the chain link fence, not sure what my dogs would do! but so far they seem just happy to get out and haven't attempted to fly but I'm afraid the more they are allowed out for longer times tey may decide too.
We now only let ours, one coop/pen at a time, free range for a short time while we our up there with them because we have alot of hawk activity around here and too many close calls with them flying in and landing on or trying to get into the enclosers.

fl.gif
wish me luck - on Monday I placed some of "my" chickens eggs in incubator. I so hope they are fertile and I will get a chick or two.

This is a test run being all my hens (all my chickens for that matter) are less than 6-9 months old and our first egg was laid early Nov.
Our future plans our to incubate but let the hens hatch on their own. That will be another learning experience.

Also, I've got seven 8 week olds that I am going to try and incorporate into a pen Saturday. I've been successful and fortunate with past intros. of young ones but this time I have 3 young boys (4 girls). I'm more nervous about the boys.

I'm in East Tennessee(Halls area of knoxville) but I often travel to the Chattanooga area. We are new to the site and new to chickens. We have started building our coop and now we are trying to find some quality chicks/eggs/?? in the area. We are 90% sure we want to get Plymouth Rocks but might consider another dual purpose breed. I would like to find someone local that raises and sells Rocks. I'de also listen to anyone who has an opinion on raising something other than Rocks.

I'm in East Tennessee(Halls area of knoxville) but I often travel to the Chattanooga area. We are new to the site and new to chickens. We have started building our coop and now we are trying to find some quality chicks/eggs/?? in the area. We are 90% sure we want to get Plymouth Rocks but might consider another dual purpose breed. I would like to find someone local that raises and sells Rocks. I'de also listen to anyone who has an opinion on raising something other than Rocks.
Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

Hopefully our little thread will grow and we will find many others in the area that we can network with on all kind of issues.

I do not have PR's or really any dual purpose. Well, I do have a few different hens for eggs but I really have grown attached to the cochins LF & bantam,. As I've said we are new to chickens and have not and probably will not get to the point that we will eat any of them (other than the eggs). I will admit I would love to supply my own meat BUT as for now my husband and I are too soft hearted to actually send any of our own to "freezer camp". I admire & do not judge others that do, I mean after all I do buy & eat chicken. Matter of fact I would love to be more "self-sufficient" in more areas of our lives.

Again, welcome and I hope you find some PR's and/or others that will fit your purpose.

Have you done it yet?
If not, you shold take some pics and post to show where and what feathers you cut. I would be very intererested to see.

i've thought about doing some of mine but have held off.

The reason we've thought about doing it is because I do freak out some what when they are out because if they decided to fly up/over the chain link fence, not sure what my dogs would do! but so far they seem just happy to get out and haven't attempted to fly but I'm afraid the more they are allowed out for longer times tey may decide too.
We now only let ours, one coop/pen at a time, free range for a short time while we our up there with them because we have alot of hawk activity around here and too many close calls with them flying in and landing on or trying to get into the enclosers.
Not yet, I have bronchitis and haven't been well enough to do more than gather eggs, feed and water.

Hi, I've had my 9 month old barred Plymouth Rocks and Delawares for 32 days now, just came out of q-pen saturday. They are all laying every day and the eggs are quite large, they have calm and peaceful personalities. There is a someone on craigslist who hatches out from Soddy daisy, he has Rock chicks. The other breed I'd like to try before my husband builds the big coop and we get chicks are speckled sussex.

Last edited:
We are traveling from PA to Chattanooga, TN and back the second week of March using I-81 to I-75. Anyone along the route that will have eggs available forsale, so we can hatch when we get home? We are looking for large fowl breeds that we can hatch and my kids can show at our local fair in September.

We are traveling from PA to Chattanooga, TN and back the second week of March using I-81 to I-75. Anyone along the route that will have eggs available forsale, so we can hatch when we get home? We are looking for large fowl breeds that we can hatch and my kids can show at our local fair in September.
I can most likely supply you with some LF Cochin eggs at that time. I am testing fertility as we speak (10 days in, due around the 25th) and all looks good.
LF Cochin would be a nice "pretty" bird to show. Cute fuzzy, full feathered legs & feet. If that is what you are into
smile.png

I will worn you the roosters get VERY BIG, but really beautiful.

Not yet, I have bronchitis and haven't been well enough to do more than gather eggs, feed and water.

Hi, I've had my 9 month old barred Plymouth Rocks and Delawares for 32 days now, just came out of q-pen saturday. They are all laying every day and the eggs are quite large, they have calm and peaceful personalities. There is a someone on craigslist who hatches out from Soddy daisy, he has Rock chicks. The other breed I'd like to try before my husband builds the big coop and we get chicks are speckled sussex.
When you get ready for the SS, holler back at me. I know two great breeders in Cleveland that can supply eggs or chicks.

Back
Top Bottom