Chattanooga, TN (surrounding areas) CHICKEN LOVERS

My Husband And I Live Near Old Fort, TN. We Moved To The Country In Order To Be Able To Raise CHICKENS and Have A Garden Again. We Have 24 Black Copper Marans That Are 2 Weeks Old. I Am TryingToFind An Inexpensive Coop Near Us But Being New To The Area, I Don't Know Where To Start. Glad To Have Found This Local Thread! (Sorry For The Caps...Don't Know What's Wrong With My Phone Lately).
Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

Love BCM's.
Maybe others can help on the coop, as far as where to buy. We built all of ours ourselves. All of ours are like, totally enclosed (chicken wire & hard wire, covered (only with tarps right now but plans are to cover with aluminum or something more permanent) walk-in pens, with a shed like building (coop) inside with built in nesting boxes and roost. We didn't go the route of cute little fancy looking doll house looking coops, only because I wanted to be able to go into each area and sit with my chickens - lol.
We have four and they range in size from 8x16 to like 20x20ft. Our largest encloser has the biggest "building/shed" (6x12) - 3/4 of it is the coop the other 1/4 is an enclosed sliding door room for the nursery/grow out pen. It has two areas built up off the ground approx. 2-1/2x6 that we can but the little ones in or a broddy hen, sick bird etc....

On one of my albums here you can see some of how ours are done. The picks are older (need to take updated ones) but it may give you some idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyways, again welcome & I love that you moved to the county for the reasons of having chickens and the garden - good for you
big_smile.png

Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

Love BCM's.
Maybe others can help on the coop, as far as where to buy. We built all of ours ourselves. All of ours are like, totally enclosed (chicken wire & hard wire, covered (only with tarps right now but plans are to cover with aluminum or something more permanent) walk-in pens, with a shed like building (coop) inside with built in nesting boxes and roost. We didn't go the route of cute little fancy looking doll house looking coops, only because I wanted to be able to go into each area and sit with my chickens - lol.
We have four and they range in size from 8x16 to like 20x20ft. Our largest encloser has the biggest "building/shed" (6x12) - 3/4 of it is the coop the other 1/4 is an enclosed sliding door room for the nursery/grow out pen. It has two areas built up off the ground approx. 2-1/2x6 that we can but the little ones in or a broddy hen, sick bird etc....

On one of my albums here you can see some of how ours are done. The picks are older (need to take updated ones) but it may give you some idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyways, again welcome & I love that you moved to the county for the reasons of having chickens and the garden - good for you
big_smile.png
Don't let her fool you. Her's are chicken resorts with posh hotels and buffet's attached. The Nursery even has windows and a play ground, so the chicks can watch the antics outside then reenact it themselves.

I appreciate all the comments and recommendations. Since we are renting, we wanted to create a home for the chickens that would be easy to build and easy to move if/when we find a country home we want to buy. I think we have decided today to go with the dog kennel structure with extra chicken wire at the base, added nesting boxes and roosts, and a chicken wire top with tarp for protection when needed. We saw some great examples at the Poultrylady place today at Delano.

I appreciate all the comments and recommendations. Since we are renting, we wanted to create a home for the chickens that would be easy to build and easy to move if/when we find a country home we want to buy. I think we have decided today to go with the dog kennel structure with extra chicken wire at the base, added nesting boxes and roosts, and a chicken wire top with tarp for protection when needed. We saw some great examples at the Poultrylady place today at Delano.
Hey no problem & glad you were able to visit Poultrylady. Always nice to see what other's set-ups. That's what we did when we started.
Have fun with the project and keep us posted
big_smile.png
with the progress.

hi. im new on byc but have had ckens all my life. i guess you could say i had ckens when havin ckens wasnt cool !!! im in the middle tn area, outside murfreesboro. look 4ward to talking with you all.

Back
Top Bottom