cheap egg cartons

Yes, I got a license through the USDA. pretty simple process. Feed is my biggest cost. I have plenty of friends that farm and could get soy beans, wheat, etc. from them..., and even have access to a small grinding mill...but i cant seem to find a recipe for a good SIMPLE layer feed. everything I see is this organic mess with 1,000 different ingredients that in the end will cost more than a bag from the store.
Anybody have a simple and effective feed recipe?

When we went to the recycling center last week they had a bunch. I didn't ask if they would give them up, but if you do recycling in your area, you could ask. Ask friends and neighbors to save them for you.

I know what you mean about the 1000 ingredients..
I try to stay organic, but when the cost of organic feed gets crazy, I just go as natural as I can..
I get my feed from the local feed mill.. they have their own recipe.. It works OK and the chickens like it.. and it is less expensive than the granulated kind I was buying ..

good luck with your egg business..

.........jiminwisc............

Check out eggcartons.com. They're cartons are cheaper than most and there's no shipping either.

I try to keep my price per carton (cardboard only) at $ .17 or less so I buy around 250 - 500 per purchase to get this price. I also tend to buy their closeouts to keep the price down also. I've bought flat tops that had some misprinting on the top - just covered that up with a do it yourself print of my info on a shipping label. With a little experimentation I was able to print 8 labels on a 8"x12" label sheet that covered the unwanted print on the carton. Bought the labels on sale at staples - just resulted in another few cents per carton - still way under the costs some folks are paying.

Since I have a small flock and sell most of my eggs, it takes me around 12 months to go through about 300 cartons.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!
smile.png

Nutso

Ok. So far we have...

Meyer Hatchery
Gray Paper Mache Egg Cartons 100 Pack
Quantity: 100
Cost: $30.60
Shipping: $18.98
Total: $49.55
Price per carton: $0.4955

Egg Carton Store
12 Egg Molded Fiber Egg Carton
Quantity: 125
Cost: $49.99
Shipping: $0.00
Total: $49.99
Price per carton: $0.39992

FarmTek
Egg Cartons - 250 Count
Quantity: 250
Cost: $56.95
Shipping: $39.75*
Total: $96.70
Price per carton: $0.3868

NOTE: The shipping for FarmTek was estimated to my zip code, 45312, using their shipping estimator. Your shipping may vary.

Foam Packaging, Inc.
Egg Cartons 2x6 Jumbo
Quantity: 400
Cost: $38.00
Shipping: $24.00**
Total: $62.00
Price per carton: $0.155

NOTE: The shipping for Foam Packaging, Inc. was estimated to my zip code, 45312, using their shipping chart. Your shipping may vary.

I couldn't find any prices there, and they only have foam? Wish they had the mache at those prices. :/

Www.zellwin.com has a variety of styles for around .30 each. They also offer custom printing (initial set up fee, though.)

My customers couldn't care less what the eggs are delivered in,,  they know they are getting good fresh eggs..  never more than 3 days old..

I am old enough to remember when the corner grocery store sold eggs "per each", and there were no cartons.. the eggs got sent home with you in a brown paper bag ..(a "poke", for the southerners),,

I also worked in a grocery store where the check out girls candled eggs when there were no customers to wait on..

with the little profit margin on eggs, how much do you have to charge if you are using these $.50 cartons ? 

I charge them for the carton- and they know what the extra .50 is. If they bring a carton, I don't charge. When they bring mine back- I don't charge for the new cartons. I'm not making a profit on my cartons but I will pass the cost on. 4 dz eggs costs me $2 just in cartons....

Back
Top Bottom