cheap egg cartons

I get $2.5o/dozen      I buy feed by the ton..  literally ..
this brings sales to just about zero $$
do you have to get a state license to sell eggs in a market ?  I know you would if you were selling to a restaurant..    

If I were to get a license, I would be looking up restaurants to sell to..  they use a lot of eggs per day.  

In the store, do you have to buy back outdated eggs ?  that raises the price per dozen too..

Depends on the state. Here, it's a matter of how many-sell more than 30 dz a week, and the whole egg law applies- less than, not only can you sell to restaurants, etc, but as long as your bame/address is on the carton and marked "ungraded," you are good to go.

Yes, I got a license through the USDA.  pretty simple process.  Feed is my biggest cost.  I have plenty of friends that farm and could get soy beans, wheat, etc. from them..., and even have access to a small grinding mill...but i cant seem to find a recipe for a good SIMPLE layer feed.  everything I see is this organic mess with 1,000 different ingredients that in the end will cost more than a bag from the store. 
Anybody have a simple and effective feed recipe? 

Try fermenting. It's cut my feed bill by 2/3.....

hi, I have a ton of egg cartons. my friends and extended family along with co workers all seem to think I have a need for all these cartons. I only have 23 chickens and the same people want the eggs every week. My neighbor just walks over with her bowl my girlfriend brings her egg cartons and her box. I don't want to throw them out, If you want to pay the shipping you can have them. They are in good shape. Once a carton that I use gets a shell, hole tear or just looks used, I retire it. I also use them as seed starters but I still should down size. Thanks blackdiamond. I can put them on craigslist with photos or ebay if you want a regular sale. [email protected]

I have customers who return cartons but if the state gets involved, they require new cartons for all sales. So if you are doing a farmers market, selling to a co-op you pretty much have to purchase new cartons. All of my customers on my delivery route usually return them. Problem is that some customers save and return clean, some don't save, and some save but have dribbles, as I call them in side or outside. The dribbled cartons make for good a fire starter in the AM. What some of my customers do at a Saturday is bring their carton and place their new eggs in their old cartons. So much depends on what your state requires on egg sales if you are doing it as a business.

ROB

I sell roughly 24 dozen a week and my eggs sell for $3.50 a dozen medium-jumbo or $3.50 for an 18 ct of small eggs. I say non-graded, non-caged but just started to run the 18 count pullet eggs. these eggs are delivered to the two businesses I go to. Local farmers market last summer was $4.00 to 4.50 per dozen. Not sure my customer base would go much high yet in the store I have been seeing them for $3.99 a dozen or more. Our local Co-Op sells organic so called eggs and they are going for $5.00 or more a dozen. The funny thing is that the guy who sells the Co-Op the "Organic Eggs" is licensed "Organic" but buys eggs from anyone that will sell to him.

Friends in Portland Oregon and Seattle area are getting $5-7.00 a dozen depending on color, then size. Blue Green are 7, Maran and Welsummers 6 and all others are $5.00 and the $7 sell out the fastest. Humm do they not know a farm fresh egg is an egg? LOL Only difference in taste is what they are eating. I have one customer who swears that white eggs taste better and will only purchase white eggs from me. Her comment is that all the others have a funny taste to them.

One of my friends has a names for every hen. She takes a pencil out when she gathers eggs and writes the name of each hen on the eggs. We are talking she has like 50 layers of different breeds. People will come and ask her if she has any "Lidia eggs". They sell for $10.00 a six pack. Guess it is how ever you market them, what ever your market will handle and what customers are will to pay.

Any other marketing ideas out there?

Rob

We told customers that it would help us keep the cost down if they would bring back the cartons. We let them know that a carton can cost up to $.50 each. Shocked them. We now have an enormous stack of used cartons that just keep circulating.

That said. These are all friends of ours. Right now we sell out immediately. If we decide to sell at a farmer's market, I would buy and use new cartons just to keep my bank account safe.

Recycled egg cartons are definitely the way to go but if your in need of a lot of egg cartons I would go with eggcartonsonline.com You can get misprinted eggcartons 125/$37.99 with free shipping or you can get blank egg cartons 125/$43.99 still with free shipping which is still a great deal compared to most other sites the only down fallis that you must order at least 125 the upside however you're only paying $.35 a piece for themless if you misprinted cartons.

Recycled egg cartons are definitely the way to go but if your in need of a lot of egg cartons I would go with eggcartonsonline.com You can get misprinted eggcartons 125/$37.99 with free shipping or you can get blank egg cartons 125/$43.99 still with free shipping which is still a great deal compared to most other sites the only down fallis that you must order at least 125 the upside however you're only paying $.35 a piece for themless if you misprinted cartons.
I did do a little more digging and if you order the foam cartons you can order as low as 50/$23.10 *Also free shipping*

I use a lot of repurposed cartons. I post on Facebook asking for cartons... I am now with over 200 cartons and they didn't cost me a dime. If you insist on spending, or you're not a Facebook person, our tractor supply will sell you a case of cartons,you just have to ask.

Back
Top Bottom