Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hello, thanks for reaching out. We are still involved in chicken care and just received a shipment of 12 fancy babies, including one mini rooster Belgian D’Uccle, 4 Cochins, 2 Wheatens (olive eggers) 3 Sage Gem bantams (green egg layers), and 2 Blue Steele bantams (blue egg layers). They will be introduced to my existing mixed flock of 6 yr old Brahma/Cochin/Polish, 4 yr old Silver laced barred rock/Black Stars, and the 2 year old pullets that are adorable faux Mohawk offspring of my PolishXBlack Stars. My big girl Fifi is broody and will adopt when chicks are strong enough.
I’ve also gotten very good at removal of bumble foot granulomas, and stuck eggs from egg bound hens, after conference with local avian vet due to losing one of my 5 1/2 yr old Cochins to prolapsed cloaca in spring of 2023. I can advise on aseptic technique, how to hold the hen and carefully crack bound egg for complete removal. Warm sugar water solution reduces inflammation. Vetricyn spray and chlorhexidine good for cleansing. Typically there is a soft shelled egg stuck behind bound egg that must come out within 24 hours. Here are some pix of new babies plus Millicent recovering from her procedure to remove bound egg, and soft shell egg that followed. Hugs to all chicken folk out there! :)
Such wonderfully cute pics!!!

What an exciting variety of new chicks you've brought into your flock! It must be quite a scene when they all start mingling with your existing flock.

Ugh, those health issues like bumblefoot and egg binding is so difficult. Thank you for sharing your experiences. It sounds like you’ve developed a solid approach to care.

Thanks for sharing updates and tips with us. Looking forward to seeing those pictures of Millicent and the new babies. Keep the updates coming.

Hi Everyone!

I haven’t posted in quite some time but I still enjoy reading posts. I have a flock of 8 right now with a brand new Mama. She has one adopted chick and one of her own. Unfortunately, we think she may have killed two of her chicks when they hatched. I don’t know why?? But she’s taking good care of the two she has.
Thanks for stopping by! Good luck with the new hatches

We're doing great. Leveled off at 20 hens, that seems to be just the right number for me. Added the last four on 10/13/23, which happened to be a Friday, so I named them Jason, Michael, Freddy, and Chucky (yes, they're hens). 🤣View attachment 3812980
Thanks for stopping by! Love the names and photos!

Last time I posted was in 2018...all 5 girls from my original flock are gone now. We buy a few new chicks every other year. 2022 was an unlucky year in Chicklandia, we lost 6 that year (2 to hawks, 3 to illness/cancer, 1 was unexplained). My current flock of 7 is a mix of ages and breeds, I'm getting 7 eggs a day and have about 12 dozen eggs in my fridge.
IMG_2978.jpeg
IMG_2976.jpeg
Welcome back. So sorry to hear your original flock is gone, but happy that you have new ones that are laying well for you. Thanks for the update and for the beautiful picture! Your hens and your garden are gorgeous!

Hello there, haven’t been on the sight in awhile. We gave our chickens away to some friends as our life has gotten busier lately. We may get some more chickens in the future, we’ll see.
This site has some good info on it. I’ll be using it again if we get chickens again
If chickens are doable now and you want some fresh eggs think about getting a cage of coturnix quail. :D

Hi Everyone!

I haven’t posted in quite some time but I still enjoy reading posts. I have a flock of 8 right now with a brand new Mama. She has one adopted chick and one of her own. Unfortunately, we think she may have killed two of her chicks when they hatched. I don’t know why?? But she’s taking good care of the two she has.
She might have accidently freaked out when they started hatching. IF she is doing ok now she should probably do ok the next time she goes broody and hatches more.

We're doing great. Leveled off at 20 hens, that seems to be just the right number for me. Added the last four on 10/13/23, which happened to be a Friday, so I named them Jason, Michael, Freddy, and Chucky (yes, they're hens). 🤣View attachment 3812980
Cute names, hopefully none of the girls are monsters!

Hello,
My chickens are living and doing great. Their characters and their behavior are different, but they live very friendly. In winter they pecked each other's eggs every day. Now, finally, they don’t do this. Only the young ones sometimes stab their own. Thanks for your advice about golf balls. I will continue with you. Sure.
Thanks for the update! Hope to see you around more

Back
Top Bottom