Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Happy to help others out there. Bumble foot occurs mostly in heavier breeds, that might be exposed to moist ground on regular basis but sometimes it just happens from soft foot pads getting damaged and allows bacterial infection underneath skin. For treatment, I soak foot in warm epsom salt solution for 5-10 min, sterilize with vetrycin spray or chlorhexidine. This softens black cap of granuloma which can be pulled off gently with tweezers. There will be a white to yellow mass of cheesy pus (dead skin cells) that also needs to be gently flushed or tweezed out. I use an orthodontic syringe like what i use to flush dental abscess for my elderly rabbit. It’s best to not dig too deep, but try to remove as much dead tissue as possible without causing stress to your bird. They do bleed a lot from foot pad area. So, cleanse again with vetrycin spray, apply pressure if bleeding for a couple minutes, pat dry and generously apply Vaseline over open sore. Finally, wrap with stretchy vet gauze, but never too tightly. I try to do the procedure in late afternoon or before their bedtime so I know they will leave their bandage alone overnight. I check first thing in morning. It takes about 3-4 days before healed enough to remove bandage. Then it’s just maintenance and keeping foot clean from debris. And ensuring coop/run stay dry & clean. Hope this helps.
You just wrote an excellent article there on treating bumblefoot! Please consider making it one by clicking the Articles tab. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/injuries-diseases-cures.29/

Living in Texas still hoping our backyard chicken bill will pass this upcoming legislation. This will be the 4th try.
For all the Texas members reading this....please contact your state senator and house representative to get them to introduce the bill again. I believe they might be able to file the bill right after the upcoming election in November 2024. They will be in session Jan-May 2025.
This bill is for us who live in neighborhoods and want a few chickens in our backyards. The bill always get voted on and passes each level quickly but always runs out of time and never makes it all the way to the end. Fingers crossed this will be the time.
Hiya, and thanks for the update! :frow I wish you the best in getting that bill to pass. I wish all states had someone like you to help pass a similar one!

Busy and trying to catch up on life. Covid hit my house for the first time in December and it messed me up badly. The last two months I have finally been able to get out and start working on my property. The chicken yard was in bad need of repair so that has eaten a chunk of my time. My chickens and ducks are healthy and annoying as usual. Sadly we lost our sweet rooster August to a stray dog, that was a hard loss. Our senior duck Aster and hen June turned 7 years old this month and both are still laying daily.
Hiya! :frow Thank you for the update, although it's rather bittersweet. Sorry about the Covid and your rooster. :hugs

Sounds like overall it's going well there so that's good to hear! Don't be a stranger though as if you ever have questions, there are plenty of folks here that would love to help answer them, and you might be able to help others with theirs as well!

Hello! I have been busy, new baby in December! Havent forgotten about my chooks though, in fact I make time for them daily. All is well with the girls lately othan than their usual sassy antics. Here is a recent photo where they had themselves a sunny slumber party.View attachment 3811962
Hiya! :frow Thanks for the update! That's a great picture!

Congrats on the new baby!! ❤️

Hey! Nice to hear from you guys. 🥰🥰

Yes, life happens & we get busy and side tracked. Received a msge from @Nifty-Chicken & here I am. I still have my girls, well 2 of the 3. I had to cull one a few yrs back, sadly. She fell ill & I couldn't bear to see her in pain. Gave her 1 day to bounce back & she just got worse. Loki was my favorite too. Lilo & Stitch are still doing well, still lay well too. They're now 6 yrs old, if I'm keeping track correctly.

I do plan on getting more, another 3, but letting these girls live out their life best as possible 1st. I don't want to have issues with integration or the city for having too many. Plus, I want them to have as much room as possible for each girl.

I hope everyone is doing well.😁 I'll go back & read through some of the comments & catch up. 😊
Hiya! :frow Glad you stopped in with an update, and thank you!

That's sweet of you to let your old chickens just be happy until their end of life. It's too short for sure.

Hi Everyoneeee, its been a long LONG time since Ive signed in. My flock has changed a lot since then. Some chickens have been lost some new chickens have arrived, some have hatched. For now all my hens are just living their lives and getting old together. I couldnt find a picture with all of them but allow me to present my youngest daughter, Petunia (she's a bit of a drama queen with finding good nests 😂😂)
View attachment 3815262
Hiya, and thanks for the update! :frow

Petunia is gorgeous. :love What a charmer!!

Our chickens are doing great! We started out with 10 sapphire gems, 2 wyandottes, 2 silkies, and 4 Easter eggers. One of the sapphires died as a baby and the 2 silkies got killed by predators. The rest are happy and wandering. We started them out in our fenced in backyard, but after they ate every blade of grass, I made them a big run in the back half. They love eating leaves off the azalea bushes back there. Our kids can tell all of them apart and gave them all names (Frizzletop, Big Comb, Charlie, etc).
Hiya, and thanks for the update!! :frow Glad to hear for the mostpart, you and your chickens are doing well. Sorry to hear about the silkies. I raise only those and know how adorable they are.

Cute names!

Back
Top Bottom