Chic Chick 'Bator *UPDATED*

Quote:
Anything different between a hatcher and an incubator? I had a slight mishap, my eggs multiplied.... So now I need another incubator. OR a hatcher. I was just going to duplicate the bator I built with a larger water dish and no turner. Am I missing anything?

Michelle

Well, let me say that this sounded doable....but I am having a tough time with my incubator. I have tried several different bulbs, holes, plugging the holes, fan on fan off, covering the incubator, spritzing the eggs, foil under the light, foil over the light, foil around and over the light, aaarrrrgggghh. I can't imagine that any of these poor little eggs are going to hatch.
hit.gif
The reason I have been trying so many things is that first, the temp will be low and the humidity low, then both high, then one high the other low. Right now, I have foil around and over the light which is directly over the water bowl on one side of the cooler incubator. The eggs are on the wire clothe, but not in any container. Just laying in a single layer. I put the foil on to help direct the heat towards the water because my humidity keeps dropping down to 38 and 39. This seems to have helped that problem. I had a 25 w bulb in there and the temp went up to 102 with a fan on. When it got this hot, the humidity would drop. So I switched to the 15 w bulb. Now I can't get it up over 90 degrees with the fan off. The humidity is also climbing again...it was up to 61 today. Should I just give up on these eggs? I don't know what other combinations to try. I have also poked vent holes in it...first low, then high. and I have a larger cork sized one on top which i stop and unstop depending on the humidity and heat. I am sorry that I am going on and on. The first day went so well as far as the heat and humidity went. Now it is just all over the place.
idunno.gif

Michelle,
You have time to order a wafer thermostat if you want to. I have been VERY pleased with the steady temps I am able to achieve with mine. I ordered mine from here and they were speedy. http://dblrsupply.pinnaclecart.com/products/GQF_Incubator_Thermostat_Switch-561-540.html

Mrsbeez
, You might want to change out your thermostat for one of these as well, or you could try to use a dimmer switch to control your temps. This would probably only be a good idea if you are home all the time and can watch it.

Quote:
not any difference really. i have one bought bator and 2 homemade ones. both homemade ones are made from Miss Prissy's instruction except i used the styrofoam worm boxes that walmart gets their worms in (they were free). they are made the same and one i use as a bator and the other is a hatcher.

Quote:
I'm not an expert by any means but I put my water away from my bulb (it's easier to refill, I don't have to worry about splashing a hot bulb and it doesn't evaporate/raise the humidity so fast)

My humidity stays about 38 or 39, I didn't think that was a problem. At least I hope it's not, the air sacs seem to be the right size and progression according to the charts I have seen.

My temps smoved when I first added eggs, so I put the bigger bulb back in and added more ventilation. you can check out my page for the details.

Don't give up, just relax. everytime my was acting wonky it was cause I was messing with it too much.

Good Luck!
Michelle

A question on connecting adapter to pc fan. The wires on the fan are red and black, the wires on the adapter are white and black. I'm guessing i connect black to black and white to red. Thought i had better make sure before i plug it in and burn my house down...lol
Thanks
Sally

I just connected pc fan and plugged it in. The fan didn't work, so I switched the wires and plugged it in and it worked. No house fire or any other problems.

I have a temp question. I made the styrofoam bator using Miss Prissy's instructions. I had the temp regulated to 99.4-99.7. The humidity was good. So I put in 10 duck eggs. My temp in the bator is good, but my probe in the water wiggler which before I put the eggs in was good is only up to 97.7. This is after 24 hours. I'm afraid that if I turn up the heat the bator temp will cook the eggs. Which is more important, the bator temp or the probe temp? Any ideas? Have I already killed these eggs?
Any opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks!

I've scanned a lot of pages in this thread...has anyone been successful just using a regular water heater thermostat from Lowes? I don't have any $$ to order a wafer thermostat right now, and I have eggs waiting to go in my new bator. I used a single water heater thermostat, but the temps fluctuate a lot. It cycles constantly from 96 or 97 up to 102 and back down. The water wiggler won't get above 90 degrees unless I turn the thermostat up, then the water wiggler will stay at 98-100 and the air temp will fluctuate between 100 and 108 constantly cycling.

I am so frustrated!

Back
Top Bottom