CHICK EMERGENCY - POTENTIAL PASTY BUTT?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
I just checked on the chicks (we've been gone all afternoon again) and noticed that one of chicks appears to have a very dirty bum (all the others are nice and clean) so I picked her up and it seems to be possibly pasty butt? Or maybe just diarrhea? As you can see, the actual vent appears clean but very red. I just took photos of all the chicks late last nighr and it wasn't there and it was not there this morning either so happened some time this afternoon. I accidentally touched it twice picking her up (GROSS!) and it's wet. I plan on wiping her down either way but if it something else I want to know. And I'm guessing this needs to happen tonight and not wait? Plan to anyway but just making sure. They turn a week old on Monday and I believe she is currently the smallest. One chick had a neck issue but not this one and that one appears better and growing fast like the others, this girl is now the small one. I have 9, 2 BRs, 2 BAs, 3 BOs (I think, one is the free one), and 2 EEs. Pretty sure this little girl is one of the barred rocks. They are in a small kiddy pool with fairly high cardboard sides in the bathroom and MHP method. The window is usually closed but I plan on opening it during the day. They are moving to the garage this weekend though and hopefully a bigger brooder. They are on pine shavings and I have not changed bedding yet and didn't stir or do anything the first few days (I know, bad) but I did take everything out and stir/mix and fluff up the bedding yesterday. Also replaced the water first time yesterday (it was clean and they weren't drinking much. Am now replacing daily). I plan on fully changing out the bedding tomorrow and then adding an inch a day and changing every few days. Am also switching to paper and/or aspen bedding (bought both today). On Agway medicated chick starter and grower. And it smells up there which is a large reason I'm changing the bedding but we didn't have a scoopor anymore bedding to do it until today. All seem very healthy and active though but this one seems pretty sleepy last few days and falls asleep in my hands. Bedding and food seems dusty. I think the main issue is the lack of ventilation but could she have something else? And will she pull through if I clean her bum and change the bedding?

Awful pics but she was moving and peeping. Bum is much redder than that.

Oh and they are from Meyer's and vaccinated for Marek's and, again, on medicated feed.

Just realized it's Halloween so people are probably out trick or treating with their kids but please, somebody has to be online. I am going upstairs to dip her bum on warm water now/wipe it off but.if anyone has any other advice I will follow

I can only tell you what I would do. With a chick that has diarhea and not acting normally I would separate from the others. Use warm water to clean the vent area and use antibiotics. I'd watch the other chicks carefully, disinfect everything, and hope for the best.

I can only tell you what I would do. With a chick that has diarhea and not acting normally I would separate from the others. Use warm water to clean the vent area and use antibiotics. I'd watch the other chicks carefully, disinfect everything, and hope for the best.

Thank you for helping! So you do think it's diarrhea then? I will definitely separate her too, hadn't even thought of that. Assuming this is contagious? Only problem though is we only have the one heating pad but I did buy a bulb before I knew I was using that method so I could use that with her or I could buy another heating pad at a local store seeing as I would have to go buy the case for the.light anyway. The bus doesn't run tomorrow though. :/ I should have picked something up today but didn't realize she was sick. I will definitely clean her up though and separate her ASAP and watch the other chicks. Although I have another question: these are our first chickens so we don't have any antibiotics on hand. :/ what sort of antibiotics would I give her and where would I buy them? Are they essential? If I can I will get them or will order online if I have to but we don't really have any transport right now. I'll walk if I have to though aha And another stupid question but what would I disinfect with? Take them out and use bleach? Or vinegar or something? I may just make a completely new area for them as they're going to outgrow this pool anyway. And the little one I might move to a Rubbermaid container if she's going to be the only chick in there. Does she need a friend with her? Guessing not? I hope no one else gets sick and I feel so awful because I feel like it's probably my fault for not making sure there was more ventilation or mixing the shavings. :( I would change the bedding tonight but it is very late, at least for them (8:11pm), and dark. Will she be okay sleeping with them tonight until I can separate them? I will try to get my brother to take me to the store tomorrow and if not tomorrow I'll walk or take the bus Monday but I feel like Monday is way too far away if this is a contagious thing so I will try to go tomorrow.

Thank you for helping! So you do think it's diarrhea then Yes,? I will definitely separate her too, hadn't even thought of that. Assuming this is contagious A possibility.? Only problem though is we only have the one heating pad but I did buy a bulb before I knew I was using that method so I could use that with her or I could buy another heating pad at a local store seeing as I would have to go buy the case for the.light anyway. The bus doesn't run tomorrow though. :/ I should have picked something up today but didn't realize she was sick A lamp turned on its side with a low wattage bulb would suffice.. I will definitely clean her up though and separate her ASAP and watch the other chicks. Although I have another question: these are our first chickens so we don't have any antibiotics on hand. :/ what sort of antibiotics would I give her and where would I buy them? I use tetracycline/ornacycline. Pet stores-farm supply stores-Farm and Fleet. Are they essential If the chick has an intesinal infection as the red vent suggests, yes.? If I can I will get them or will order online if I have to but we don't really have any transport right now. I'll walk if I have to though aha And another stupid question but what would I disinfect with? Take them out and use bleach Any household disinfectant. Yes to bleach.? Or vinegar or something? I may just make a completely new area for them as they're going to outgrow this pool anyway. And the little one I might move to a Rubbermaid container if she's going to be the only chick in there. Does she need a friend with her No.? Guessing not? I hope no one else gets sick and I feel so awful because I feel like it's probably my fault for not making sure there was more ventilation or mixing the shavings. :( I would change the bedding tonight but it is very late, at least for them (8:11pm), and dark. Will she be okay sleeping with them tonight until I can separate them Separate as soon as you can.? I will try to get my brother to take me to the store tomorrow and if not tomorrow I'll walk or take the bus Monday but I feel like Monday is way too far away if this is a contagious thing so I will try to go tomorrow.
Good luck.

Thank you again for all of your help. I will look for that antibiotic then and separate ASAP. Hope she doesn't have anything serious. :( thanks again. Cleaned her up and she seemed better but will still try to find that and separate her.

Thank you again for all of your help. I will look for that antibiotic then and separate ASAP. Hope she doesn't have anything serious. :( thanks again. Cleaned her up and she seemed better but will still try to find that and separate her.

You're welcome. I hope you chick gets better and the others don't get sick.

You're welcome. I hope you chick gets better and the others don't get sick.

Thank you and I hope so too. I think part of the problem may be I had the heating pad setting way too high for indoors and I'm stressing them out by grabbing them a lot so I turned it down and am working on trying to leave them alone so we'll see how it goes

Thank you and I hope so too. I think part of the problem may be I had the heating pad setting way too high for indoors and I'm stressing them out by grabbing them a lot so I turned it down and am working on trying to leave them alone so we'll see how it goes

Chicks/chickens that are to warm will pant with their beaks open. I handle my chicks frequently. Below is a rooster the results of frequent handling. We cleaned his feet, comb, and wattles yesterday. Absolutely no fighting on his part and when my wife start to clean his head and neck feathers he turned his head this way and that; quite obviously liking the attention.

Chicks/chickens that are to warm will pant with their beaks open. I handle my chicks frequently. Below is a rooster the results of frequent handling. We cleaned his feet, comb, and wattles yesterday. Absolutely no fighting on his part and when my wife start to clean his head and neck feathers he turned his head this way and that; quite obviously liking the attention.

That's a good point and none of them were doing that so I guess they're okay. And oh wow, he seems really sweet. :) with mine though it's less handling, more just chasing them around and snagging them haha I gotta handle them but.be more gentle about it

Back
Top Bottom