chick grit

You'll get a lot of suggestions.
I offer chick grit from hatch. Sprinkle a little in the brooder, the chicks will pick up a few pieces.
x2, though I sprinkle a little on their food once every few days. Just a pinch, like lightly salting something. I discontinue doing that when they're big enough to move up to the next size of grit.

I gave them a big bowl so it can double as a dust bath. Lulu was the first to see the bathing potential yesterday. Everyone else just picks at it. Mine are 10 days old and I gave them grit in day 3 just because that was when I got them.
They only need a tiny amount but I had it spare and figured they would enjoy playing in it.

I gave them a big bowl so it can double as a dust bath. Lulu was the first to see the bathing potential yesterday. Everyone else just picks at it. Mine are 10 days old and I gave them grit in day 3 just because that was when I got them.
They only need a tiny amount but I had it spare and figured they would enjoy playing in it.

Thank you! How adorable! That’s interesting that they use grit as a dust bowl …

Thank you! How adorable! That’s interesting that they use grit as a dust bowl …
I was going to go out and dig some regular dirt but it was sooo cold and wet and miserable - I think it was that day we got the sleet - so I improvised and they seem very happy with it. I am confident everyone has ingested some so when they go outside and meet bugs and grass I won’t worry about them digesting stuff.

I was going to go out and dig some regular dirt but it was sooo cold and wet and miserable - I think it was that day we got the sleet - so I improvised and they seem very happy with it. I am confident everyone has ingested some so when they go outside and meet bugs and grass I won’t worry about them digesting stuff.
But … if it hadn’t been so miserable outside, you would have just tossed a chunk of earth with whatever in a bowl or on the floor of your brooder, right?

But … if it hadn’t been so miserable outside, you would have just tossed a chunk of earth with whatever in a bowl or on the floor of your brooder, right?
Yeah. And a separate bowl of grit and some grit scattered in the real dirt.
This works great though so I will use this method again.
A 5lb bag of grit has lasted me two chick batches (I only get a few chicks at a time) and even using this method I have plenty left in the bag for another 2-3 batches of babies.

Back
Top Bottom