Chick has bent or deformed leg.

jammyjammy2112

Songster
7 Years
May 23, 2012
ireland
My chick was born 8 weeks ago on a wensday so he is two months old today.He hatch a day later then the other chicks he is a rooster btw. He is as small as a pullet/female chick when he hatch theres was quick a bit of blood. i new or thought for sure he was going to die.He couldn't move he was to weak he wasn't chirping.Eventually i had to take him out of the incubator i put him into the broody i went to be that morning he was a totally new chick. everthing was differnt except his leg was bent. But his leg kept getting better one stage he could walk allmost probarly but then one day it was completly bent again
idunno.gif
the same way it was thee first day the poor chick.
Is there any ideas anybody has how i could make his leg better.

Thanks but i have tried that but he cant open his toes there not stuck together he just can't do it his leg is stuck completly side ways and teos dont move im not sure he can move them

I hope things get better. The only chick I had do this was one that had a long hatch and I had to mist the shell to get him out. He could not walk right for almost 2 days so I left him alone in the incubator. Finally put him in the brooder with others and next day he was fine. Sorry I can't say what is wrong with yours but good luck

From what I can tell it's broken at the knee, I'm sorry. It's twisted and calcified. A vet may be able to fix it but at best it's likely he would end up with a stiff leg that cannot bend because the whole knee is a lump of hardened matter from the looks of it. If you check his knee and it's larger than the 'good' leg's knee, you will know for sure, but I'm pretty sure. He may need putting down, having a ruined leg like that destroys the good leg as you can see is happening as he tries to compensate. Sorry. Best wishes.

If he was still young when this happened, then there is a possibility that he sliped and has a splayed leg. These are usually permanent, but some fix over time. Some of the time the don't bother the chick, but if he seems to be in pain, then you should probably see a vet. Good luck!
smile.png

I think he needs to be put down i think your defintly right chooks4life and bbchickies it was like that when he was born so i douth its spayed it seems like his in pain he is allways cirping loudly and can never keep up with the other chicks. i think its broken but it tried to heal and its not good now and its impossible to fixe with out a lot of operations which they dont do on chickens legs becouse there legs are very brittle i say it broke when he hatched
hmm.png
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom