Chick has bent or deformed leg.

So sorry about your chick. But he probably does not have a good life ahead - - he would probably be in pain, pecked by the others, unable to walk or get to food/water easily.
sad.png

yes nuchickontheblock he has to be lifted to the water and food most of the time sometimes he gets sort burst of energy and runs to it by himself and he is a rooster so he will be attackted by my other rooster and not be able to defend himself and plus he cant stand on a perce either. everthing is a real big difficulty for him.

It's always sad when a bird or other animal tried to hang in there but it didn't fix up. At least he was given a chance and you tried. Many animals are destroyed all the time which just needed someone to give them a day, two days, a little TLC. I've kept and bred a lot of great animals who just needed a little help through no fault of their own. I have tried for months with a bush turkey with a similar break up in the thigh. Poor thing tried but in the end the splint failed and I couldn't correct it and the other leg got ruined from overcompensating and I think it just gave up, died soon after it couldn't hop anymore. I was going to put it down but death got there first. No vet helped and I did try to find one who would. Sorry. Best wishes. Splints are great things to learn to do; I was daunted at first but they are not actually hard and there's good info available on this site, so hopefully the next one with a break will make it.

thanks cooks4life he has been lieing down all day today only getting up to eat food back to the round he went he cant stand on a pearce eather he gets stood on easwell like my other hens would try to jump over the small fence and jump on the poore fella to get out who has no name and would like a name :) im going to call him poore fella for the time being if any of ye have any ideas of a name ye can say it.

I like to give my rescue cases names not linked to their problems. They can be pretty sensitive to the attitude of the person tending them, so too much sympathy or sadness can depress them.

Sorry, brain's lacking sleep something fierce, but here goes and I hope I don't encourage any creature's suffering... But strange things can work.

My thoughts are that without some pretty miraculous help, he's not going to survive into adulthood because injuries like that impact their health as well and with his bad leg the way it is his good leg is hurting because it's twisted onto its side to overcompensate. It will get worse if left. If you're going to try any radical treatments or ideas, now is the time.

Best wishes. I pm'd you, in case you didn't notice, detailing a possible idea, but that's no guarantee and it's your choice, so for the creature's sake I hope you make the right one, whatever that is in this case.

From another thread, you said that your chicks have grown up eating layer instead of starter these past two months... that calcium went straight to his knee and caused this issue. The right diet will help things so much. So glad you got that fixed, as the others will have a chance. As to him, a splint may help, but it seems you're doing all you can do for him right now-- and that's helping him eat (calcium free!) feed, and getting him water.

Even when he is an adult I would suggest keeping him away from other chickens. Sorry about the leg. poor little guy

actually he has got much better not leg wise but coping wise he is very happy rearly cirping now and i herd him making a noise today that cocks make to call hens over to them.

If you post a good clear photo of the leg, from front-on, shin to middle toe, I can tell you if it's inherited.
Hi, I know this post/thread is from 6 years ago, but I've just had one hatch with a deformed leg and looking for some help/advice.. I don't want the poor little thing to suffer.. if you are still on here, please reply. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom