Chick hatched with organ outside rear

Scorpious

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2023
Hi Brains trusts,

I’m in day 20 and have had 2 early hatches, one of them doesn’t look great and has what looks like an intestine hanging out from its rear. It was moving around earlier on but now is heavy breathing and just laying on its side. The other hatchling is just trampling all over it not to mention the blood that the organ has spread throughout the incubator.

My question is what do I do here? Is this an intervention situation that I need to do something to save it ? Or is this a remove and clean incubator survival of the fittest scenario?

Help please 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Attachments

• ca96c27f-c8f5-4f29-878b-8871de748605.jpeg
    ca96c27f-c8f5-4f29-878b-8871de748605.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 45
My question is what do I do here? Is this an intervention situation that I need to do something to save it ? Or is this a remove and clean incubator survival of the fittest scenario?
I do not think there is anything you can do to save that chick. So you would either let it die, or kill the chick yourself to save suffering and have the situation over sooner.

Yes, you will need to clean the incubator, although it you might do that after the other chicks hatch, depending on how messy it is.

one of them doesn’t look great and has what looks like an intestine hanging out from its rear.

I agree that looks like intestine.

That is intestates, your little chicks will die sooner of later. If you do decide to put the chick down, put him in a little container and put it in the freezer. The chick will just go to sleep and die.

You should at least separate it. The other chicks might bully it because it is weak. We once had a chick with a deformed leg. Unfortunately, the chick (Fluffy) didn’t make it.

If you need to euthanize, cutting the head off works well too. (It's a fairly common method of dispatching big chickens on butchering day, but also works fine on little ones that will not be eaten.)

For a small chick like this, wrap in two layers of paper towel, put in a zip lock bag. Take sharp scissors and cut the neck completely, through the paper towels, inside the bag (don't cut through the bag). You need to sever it. The towels will prevent you from having to see it and everything will be contained, Close the bag and dispose of it as you feel appropriate.
That would be the kindest thing to do, rather than let it suffer slowly.
I'm very sorry this happened. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom