savannairis

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2020
Well i was making this post and my husband suggested we just put him out of his misery... a cat must’ve gotten hold but couldn’t get him out of the fence.. I’m so hurt. What do you guys think though before I do it? I just can’t

his tongue is no longer in his beak??

⚠beware isn’t for light-hearted folks

Attachments

• BFCEDCBC-632C-4805-BD28-BDAD59AF5FA6.jpeg
    BFCEDCBC-632C-4805-BD28-BDAD59AF5FA6.jpeg
    856.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 7A32A0A3-498C-43CD-8FDF-302367FBFCC0.jpeg
    7A32A0A3-498C-43CD-8FDF-302367FBFCC0.jpeg
    802.5 KB · Views: 20
Can you post any clearer photos or pics up close?
Id say that if he no longer has a tongue, then its too late to do anything. Chickens need their tongues to eat and drink and without it, he'd starve. :( Im so sorry this happened. If he still has his tongue though, maybe he can recover?

I have a video but i can’t upload it... he’s still walking around but his tongue is literally below and outside the beat

He’s still running and following the others but he’ll eventually stave won’t he? Can’t eat. only drink(?)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    731.2 KB · Views: 17
The following recommendations are assuming that you don't have a vet that will examine your rooster, or do so at a fee that your family can manage at this time.
If you do need to cull your rooster, and if your family eats meat, then honor him further by allowing him to feed your family.
If you think the facial (tongue) damage will mend, you may consider separating him from the flock in a doggie crate or cage that will enable him to stay in sight and sound of the other members of the flock (to help maintain his status). If you think he'll recover from his injuries, and since you strongly suspect this wound was caused by a cat, you'll need to put him on antibiotics rapidly, before the onset of infection. Discuss the situation with your vet (a telephone consult is often free) or friendly feed-store pharmacist, they'll be able to suggest what's available in your area, dosage, duration, etc; ask them about antibiotics to put into his water as prying his mouth open to stuff a pill into it could make matters worse. Cats are blessed with razor sharp and needle-fine teeth and claws and can embed bacteria deep within a wound, typically by the time you realize there's an infection brewing it's too late for the bird; don't wait to see signs of infection. My prayers are with you and your feathered family.

I just saw the video you posted, is that his tongue hanging out of a hole in his lower beak/neck? If so, that might heal with a stitch or two to pull the skin back together enough to hold his tongue in while nature mends him. Chickens are incredibly tough when it comes to healing, I've seen birds totally scalped that recovered fully and rapidly. Also, once he is no longer bleeding, you can offer him one baby aspirin (81mg) once (some say twice) daily to take the edge off of his pain.

It looks like his beak is still in tact and the tongue is coming through a hole in the beak...

If you can't seek veterinary care... euthanasia is likely the humane thing to do.

If your quite brave you can try pulling the tongue back into the mouth and stitching the hole in the chin.

NEVER trust your friendly feed store "pharmacist".. half the time folks working at feed stores can;t even recommend the correct feed. Always get a second opinion.

Good job figuring out how to load videos.. it helps a lot! :fl

I would personally try fixing it. It appears his tongue is coming out of a hole in his break. Itll be tough but i would give him some baby aspirin, flip him over, pull his tongue back through the hole, put a stitch or 2 in the hole and keep him separated for a while.

Back
Top Bottom