Chick looks as though it is choking

brierose3

Songster
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Central Coast, Australia
Occasionally I see my 3 day old chick stretch it's neck and open its beak like it is choking. Other than that it is drinking and eating fine except the mother hen seems like she is teaching the chick to eat the pine shavings. She will pick the shavings up then drop it for the chick and sometimes even eat it herself. I was thinking of moving them onto paper towels but there are still four eggs unhatched. Does the chick have an impacted crop? If so, what do I do?

If it's the action I'm thinking of, then it's just adjusting the food in it's crop - much like a chicken version of a human burp, but without the noise. Do you have a video of what it is doing?

If it's the action I'm thinking of, then it's just adjusting the food in it's crop - much like a chicken version of a human burp, but without the noise. Do you have a video of what it is doing?

ha that is the best description I've heard of for that motion! I'll have to use that..

agreed, its normal :)

Sorry I just read your first post a little bit closer.

So these are 1 day old chicks and more are hatching? I would not put them on pine just yet. I don't introduce them to pine at all until I think they wont eat it.

I would put down either shelf liner, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-...1_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1389924974&sr=1-3

Or you can use paper towels, a few towels thick for absorbancy on the ground.

I have also used a regular bath towel, but it was only for 5 chicks in a brooder without a hen pooping on it.

Switch to pine when they are older, around a week to 2 weeks? I'm not sure exactly when I switch them, I judge by how bad their poop is getting in the brooder. You have to change the paper towels often, so buy a big package! Hopefully by waiting, they won't eat it. And that hen should not be teaching them!!!

I have recently switched to using SAND flooring in my outdoor coop. Maybe you could use sand for your brooder too? Make sure it's construction sand if you do.

Last edited:
I only know from mine doing the same thing and when I posted a video on here of it, that's pretty much the description I was told, haha.

If you can't lay paper towels down until they recognise what is/isn't food, then it's time to start introducing grit to your chick. No oyster shell though, or anything with much calcium - too much calcium can cause growth problems in chicks. Give it a pile of dirt to scratch around in or sprinkle it over their food etc.

I put the paper towels down and the mothers ripping it to shreds and also eating it. She also gives small pieces to the chick and clucks telling it to eat which i ended up pulling it out of its mouth many times.
idunno.gif
What do i do about that? would shelf liner be better?
Thanks

Last edited:
I put the paper towels down and the mothers ripping it to shreds and also eating it. She also gives small pieces to the chick and clucks telling it to eat which i ended up pulling it out of its mouth many times.
idunno.gif
What do i do about that? would shelf liner be better?
Thanks

dang what is her problem?? she should not be teaching that!
do you sprinkle food all around for her to peck and show?
Shelf liner probably won't shred like paper towels if she pecks at it, and you can tape it to the brooder floor if needed. I usually buy the clearance colors for $1-2/roll at the store

dang what is her problem?? she should not be teaching that!
do you sprinkle food all around for her to peck and show?
Shelf liner probably won't shred like paper towels if she pecks at it, and you can tape it to the brooder floor if needed. I usually buy the clearance colors for $1-2/roll at the store

Thank you. I'll try get some today. We have a bowl with chick food but that ends up everywhere. I hope it isn't bad for the unhatched eggs to keep moving them off and on the nest to change the bedding...

Back
Top Bottom