Chick pooping blood

Doses below are for one US gallon (128 fluid ounces)
  • The .006% for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
  • The .006% for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

• The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
  • The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

• The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
  • The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

More info here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

Help! Tiniest little spot of red in a two-day-old chick's poop. I wouldn't have noticed it, but we were doing a photo shoot on a paper towel.

She is the most active chick, not showing any signs of illness or lethargy. She is eating well, and drinking a lot (maybe more than her sisters).

Do I freak out and medicate, or wait it out?

Is it okay to give them human probiotics ? The powdered one and human yoghurt ? Plz reply ASAP my chicks have cocci as well!!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

Oh crap.... literally. I just found blood for the first time. I have had 8 SFH chicks for the past 3 days. They have all been eating non medicated organic chick starter. One looks older than the others and when I had him out for socializing, he pooped a lot of blood with his stool. Didn't get a picture right away, but it was a lot and very dark. Cleaned the brooder box and quickly saw him poop again. Not as much blood this time, but tinted red and quite watery:

A couple questions:
1. Does this look like cocci?
2. Do I need to separate him if I'm treating all the chicks?
3. Can I treat chicks with Corid without confirming that it is cocci or is that dangerous because of potential vitamin losses?
4. Could this have been simply stress induced?

I know that last question is super hopeful and not realistic. I'm getting Corid tomorrow regardless. Any thought/ help/ hints?
Please. I've raised dozens of batches of chicks and this is my first scare. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Oh crap.... literally. I just found blood for the first time. I have had 8 SFH chicks for the past 3 days. They have all been eating non medicated organic chick starter. One looks older than the others and when I had him out for socializing, he pooped a lot of blood with his stool. Didn't get a picture right away, but it was a lot and very dark. Cleaned the brooder box and quickly saw him poop again. Not as much blood this time, but tinted red and quite watery:
A couple questions:
1. Does this look like cocci?
2. Do I need to separate him if I'm treating all the chicks?
3. Can I treat chicks with Corid without confirming that it is cocci or is that dangerous because of potential vitamin losses?
4. Could this have been simply stress induced?

I know that last question is super hopeful and not realistic. I'm getting Corid tomorrow regardless. Any thought/ help/ hints?
Please. I've raised dozens of batches of chicks and this is my first scare. Any help is greatly appreciated.
How are they?

-Kathy

OK, I have followed this advice. its been 3 weeks on corrid, the first 2 i mixed a gallon and used it over the week as I only have 3 chicks. I still had blood in the dropping then I started mixing fresh corid each day for this last week. still having some blood in the dropping similar to the above photo. Like at what point do I stop medicating? just not sure what to do if they seem to be the same as before treatment mostly.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas to help me...I have 8 chicks; 5 that i've hatched, 3 that i've bought. The 3 that i'd bought had all been vaccinated and once i'd got them home and into the brooder with the others, i noticed that they were all sneezing. The sneezing then spread onto my own that i've hatched. They're all fed on medicated feed against cocci. They've never been outside. I'd been advised to put them on antibiotics though for the sneezing non-vaccinated little ones. Today, just noticed the first born has blood on her tail feathers and then i spotted a huge 'splat' of blood on the wood shavings. She's up and eating/drinking but when she's just standing under the heat i've noticed she's breathing by opening her beak and taking little gasps
sad.png

What do i do!?

Last edited:
It sounds like they may have coccidiosis. I would put some Corid (amprollium) in their water. That is the same drug in their medicated feed, but with blood in their droppings, they need a bigger dose. Are you in the US? What exactly were the chicks vaccinated for? Many people get chicks vaccinated for Mareks disease, and some for coccidiosis. There are other vaccines for various respiratory diseases. If sneezing is their only respiratory symptom, it could be from dust in the feed or the bedding, or from a virus. If there are wheezing, rattles, swelling of the eyes, or thick nasal drainage, it may be a bacterial illness such as mycoplasma or coryza.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom