CHICK POOPING BLOOD

19Chicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
The chicks are acting fine and we know which one is pooping blood, if she is the only one. What do I treat them with? Should I separate the one?

Last edited:
They are using purina start & grow medicated

Last edited:
The chick is only 5 days old. There is 3 other chicks the same age and two older ones that are 2 weeks.

We have just added sulmet in their water. We aren't sure if its only one of them. Should I try to use coccid instead?

Last edited:
I would certainly stop the Sulmet. It is very rough on their intestines. You are talking about having cocci, which sometimes causes bloody diarrhea. But a chick with a cocci infestation is not going to act fine, it is going to act quite sick, not eating or drinking, not moving aorund much, usually hunched up and fluffed as if cold. I would guess what you saw was intestinal lining. it is normal for them to shed intestinal lining, especially when young.

And yes, if they do get cocci, Corid is a much better initial treatment; Sulmet is only for certain types of cocci, and only as a last ditch effort.

http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0 (has a pic of poop with intestinal lining)

Whenever my young chicks start producing poop with blood or intestinal lining, it's always been the start of a coccidiosis outbreak, even if they appear healthy, so they get treated with Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) at the .024% dose, which is 2 teaspoons of the liquid. If you're in the US, you'll find these in the cattle section.

How many bloody poops per day are you seeing?

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom