Chick Scratching Eye?!

You could treat with Tylan 50 injectable given orally 0.1 ml 3 times a day for 5 days. You have to get a syringe and a needle, draw it up, remove the needle and put it in her beak. My TSC will not permit anyone touching the chicks but employees, but some other feed stores do not practice biosecurity that well.

Does she stretch out her neck, open her beak, close it, then draw the neck back in? Then repeat it again, or does she leave her neck outstretched and keep her beak open?

@azygous She was stretching her neck and keeping it out but now she’s resting normally, neck in.
She’s pooped again and that was normal as well. Our local TSC was out of Tylan (we live an hour away so I called) but we have another one about 1 1/2hrs away and they say they’ll have a shipment in tomorrow. She’s not gasping for air so I’m wondering if the lethargy was a stress symptom of the eye issue?

I'm suspecting a crop obstruction. It's not uncommon in chicks. Your chick is a large breed and they tend to be big pigs when eating, and chicks in general can really stuff their crops so full you'd think they fall over onto their little heads.

That motion with the neck stretched and the beak open is a classic sign of crop discomfort. Sometimes extending the neck relieves the discomfort. If you see it again, try a very gentle massage of her crop to break up the contents so they'll go on down and out of the crop.

The eye issue could be simply coincidental.

Back
Top Bottom